Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-11-2006, 06:21 PM

Default Transitioning from NL to Limit HE

I've been playing 6handed 100nl and 200nl for awhile now and I would like to delve into limit hold'em, preferably the 2/4 and 3/6 6max tables since those are the stakes I'm used to. Any general or specific advice would be great!

EDIT:
To make discussion easier:

I've gotten 15k hands in of 2/4 6max so far and have been playing break even poker. I feel my game is ok for how weak everyone else is but I would like to develop a serious edge and I know I have a ton to learn about limit hold'em. Some starter questions include:

Which hands should I be raising with compared to NL?
How should I play pocket pairs and suited connectors?
Is bluffing a lot less advantageous? Are there still a lot of spots where bluffing is effective?
When should I make continuation bets?

I can't think of a lot more questions, even though there are so many more facets of the game I should be looking at, so please bring up as many points as possible! Thanks.
Old 12-11-2006, 07:03 PM

Default Re: Transitioning from NL to Limit HE

Read SSHE, HFAP, and TOP. Most of your questions will be answered. The rest is experiece. Also, post hands in the strategy forum for others to critique.
Old 12-11-2006, 07:08 PM

I'm assuming those are poker books and not threads on 2+2. Looks like I'll be buying myself some early christmas presents =p Thanks
Old 12-12-2006, 01:47 PM

Continuation betting is similar in limit, somewhat. You're still looking for the right board, number and type of players, and position to c-bet or fire 2nd and 3rd barrels.

PP's aren't nearly as valuable in limit. UTG I usually fold PP's under 66 and raise 77+ (in 6max). In limit, using aggressive player's aggression against them is a little more commonly used since you're often HU on the flop/turn and would rather let an opponent continue to bluff without putting too many bets with mediocre hands. Bluffing is still advantageous, but you're getting called by a wide range of hands so it's not as valuable in a lot of situations. Smaller SC's can be limped after 1-2 limpers, sometimes raised in LP on a steal, are good defending (sometimes re-raising) hands, but usually folded in EP unless you're just mixing things up.