Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-10-2006, 08:04 PM

Default Re: Huge new games on stars

[ QUOTE ]
A good player should be familiar and comfortable with both methods.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 12-10-2006, 08:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
A good player should be familiar and comfortable with both methods.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I can play hu the way stars has it but its annoying and just not as fun. The fun part is the most important because thats y heads up is such a great game, ur always in the action.
Old 12-10-2006, 08:42 PM

Well, if you are going to play every hand anyway, why does the position of the blinds matter? It really shouldn't be that big of a deal.
Old 12-10-2006, 08:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well, if you are going to play every hand anyway, why does the position of the blinds matter? It really shouldn't be that big of a deal.

[/ QUOTE ]

u shold go ahead and play the 1/2 games then
Old 12-10-2006, 08:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Basically every site except stars and party has the button as the small blind and the other as the big blind in a heads up cash game. The way stars has the blinds heads up is completely backwards and makes it a lot less fun as other sites head up cash games. Look at UB and full tilt heads up games for a reference they are the normal way and than look at stars heads up cash games, they are completly backwards and beat to my opinion.

[/ QUOTE ]

I prefer the blind structure on Stars and Party by far. There is also no "per se" argument that the blinds need to be one way or another.

[/ QUOTE ]

Except the small blind has always been on the button in a heads up game. The reasoning is that it is unfair to allow the same person to act last both beforer and after the flop.

[/ QUOTE ] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

In a normal full ring game, if its folded to the blinds then won't the BB act last in both cases as well?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, but that doesn't happen very often. I am not real happy with the explanation of not allowing the same person to act last pre and post flop but that is also the reason behind no straddle in 3 handed games (a traditional rule that is falling out of favor). That is how it was explained to me many years ago.
Old 12-11-2006, 05:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Except the small blind has always been on the button in a heads up game. The reasoning is that it is unfair to allow the same person to act last both beforer and after the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is faulty logic. It is an advantage to have the small blind preflop. It is an advantage to have the button postflop. If you want to be "fair" you should not give both advantages to the same player. (This holds in the 1-2 chip blind structure used in most games.)

The "button small blind" arrangment ("BSB") that so many say they prefer is an unbalanced game. The button has a huge advantage every hand. The "button big blind" case ("BBB") is very nearly balanced to make the players indifferent between the two positions. On every site that uses BSB, there are angle-shooters who try to get more than their share of the button. Even the Stars software has a few defects in this area that I won't mention... but luckily they use BBB which renders these angles nearly worthless, even in a $2000 big bet game.

I much prefer the BBB case. The postflop betting patterns are more interesting and challenging. This means there are more opportunities for experts to find an edge. Arguing for a game that is easier to play correctly is shooting yourself in the foot!

-pyg