Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-11-2006, 01:10 PM

Default Play along with me and Doyle Brunson!!!!

This was a house game I played in on the weekend. The villian is my friend who plays relatively tight and doesn't make much moves. He sees me as sort of tight and very aggressive player but respect my play. This was around 3 in the morning and everyone was getting gambling happy which usually tend to happen towards end of the night. Both blinds are very loose if that helps with anything.

Villian's stack is around 220 and I have him covered.

Should I have bet the flop?

5 handed home game with blinds 1/1. Villian limps utg. I have Tc2c on Button and make it to 8. Both blinds and villian call.

Flop is 3cJsQc(Pot: 32). Checked to me and I bet 24. Blinds fold and villian call.

Turn is Kd(Pot: 76). Villian check and I ???
Old 12-11-2006, 01:14 PM

Default Re: Play along with me and Doyle Brunson!!!!

Um, preflop lolx0rs.

I check the flop looking to spike a [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. QJx boards could hit many of the hands in the opponents' ranges and there are 3 of them. I check the turn. We have a lot of outs and getting checkraised kind of sucks.
Old 12-11-2006, 02:09 PM

Preflop is...well, let's just say I wouldn't do it very often, and certainly not when people are getting loose and gamboooly at the end of a long home game.

The flop, on the other hand, I like very much. You've represented power, and now you're following through with it. If I get check-raised here, I'm pushing all-in: if villain really does respect my play and really does play relatively tight, my folding equity is large enough to make the semibluff +EV.

As played, I check behind on the turn. Heck, that's one of the benefits of betting the flop -- you can take a free card if/when you need it. Normally I'd be happy to fire a second barrel here, but villain doesn't look like he's going away, and I now have a hand that I (a) want to see another card with and (b) won't like getting check-raised. Take your 15 outs and spike a winner, then push the river. If you miss and he checks again, I'd be tempted to bluff it, but I'd hope I was strong enough to suppress that urge: after checking behind on the turn, your folding equity will be too small to warrant bluffing.
Old 12-11-2006, 04:14 PM

There are so many two pair combinations on the turn you should take the card. If you hit on the river I expect you will get paid off often.