Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-10-2006, 06:50 PM

Default Re: The Mathematics of Poker

Hey Guys, just recieved my copy of Mathematics of Poker, Not a math geek, although I could handle some of the equations. Just wondering, could someone recommend a calculator which would cover all of the various functions and equations outlined in the book. (My thoughts were any calculator which could handle Algebra I, II, Trig Functions. etc. I want to hammer away at the equations to fully understand the mathematical implications: Could the Authors offer a Recommendation in this area. P.S. Fantastic Book, I hope it increases all our collective abilites on the tables.

Psion.
Old 12-10-2006, 07:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hey Guys, just recieved my copy of Mathematics of Poker, Not a math geek,

[/ QUOTE ]

You're not a math geek but you're asking someone to recommend you a calculator?

JK, I guess I'm screwed with my TI-83.
Old 12-11-2006, 12:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Just wondering, could someone recommend a calculator which would cover all of the various functions and equations outlined in the book.

[/ QUOTE ]

haven't ordered the book yet. I probably will, but this sure does scare me.
Old 12-11-2006, 12:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Just wondering, could someone recommend a calculator which would cover all of the various functions and equations outlined in the book. (My thoughts were any calculator which could handle Algebra I, II, Trig Functions. etc. I want to hammer away at the equations to fully understand the mathematical implications

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe almost any graphing calculator should be able to handle Algebra I, Algebra II, and trigonometry. I personally like the TI-85, but you might just want to go to an office store (e.g., Staples) or a department store and check out what they have.
Old 12-11-2006, 02:31 AM

If you download xp power toys (I believe I got mine on cnet.com, but googling for it should find it - it's freeware), there's a pretty good calculator that comes with it that I use when I don't feel like whipping out my 85, or if I'm doing homework and need multiple calculators for some reason.
Old 12-11-2006, 03:13 AM

I ordered from Conjelco and got it 4 days later.Book is written exactly like a text book
Not the easiest reading, but they expalin thing well.
If you like the slkanski approach to poker you will love this book.
Old 12-11-2006, 12:06 PM

i should be getting this today! i'm so excited!
Old 12-11-2006, 12:46 PM

Bill,

Seeing as your a Pokerstars sponsored player any chance of you pushing them to put into the VIP store?
Old 12-11-2006, 02:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Bill,

Seeing as your a Pokerstars sponsored player any chance of you pushing them to put into the VIP store?

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 12-11-2006, 05:13 PM

Just got the book 5 minutes ago, and I'd like to say that I've never been as excited to delve into a poker book as I am to get into this one.

To be honest, I was a bit skeptical that it was going to deliver because other books that have been hyped as "mathematical" approaches to the game (Theory of Poker) fell far short of expectations. But this looks like the real deal, hopefully I'm not disappointed.

Incidentally, I wouldn't want to scare somebody without a strong mathematical background. The equations in the book like intimidating, but most of them are just algebra with a couple natural logs thrown in there. I wouldn't think you'd need a strong mathematical background (to be honest, mine's not that great itself) to get through the book.

Anybody who likes this game-theoretic approach to the game should also check out the stuff from the University of Alberta.