Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-11-2006, 07:16 AM

Default Re: Simple Question For Not Ready And Others

I tend to think the syllogism D is not valid, as its first premise is not valid -- at least in some Christian traditions, simply not believing is different from actively rejecting (but both are 'nonbelievers'), and in some there is a place for "virtuous nonbelievers" to do a little time in purgatory and be set right. There is nothing STOPPING god from saving whomever he pleases.
Old 12-11-2006, 09:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I tend to think the syllogism D is not valid, as its first premise is not valid -- at least in some Christian traditions, simply not believing is different from actively rejecting (but both are 'nonbelievers'), and in some there is a place for "virtuous nonbelievers" to do a little time in purgatory and be set right. There is nothing STOPPING god from saving whomever he pleases.

[/ QUOTE ]

But there is. His Word. God can't lie, and if he said "You cant get in if you X" then you being X prevents him from letting you in. I'm not necessarily claiming this goes against his omnipotence (although I think it might) but it clearly shows that you are wrong when you say nothing can prevent God from doing something.

But I think NotReady would admit that there is some chance that God never said that, and so THEREFORE he can let anyone he wants to into heaven. But even if there is some chance, NotReady doesn't actually believe its likely. NR, is that accurate?
Old 12-11-2006, 11:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]

But I think NotReady would admit that there is some chance that God never said that, and so THEREFORE he can let anyone he wants to into heaven. But even if there is some chance, NotReady doesn't actually believe its likely. NR, is that accurate?

[/ QUOTE ]

He has said He doesn't want to let some people in, i.e., unbelievers. It's a semantics game to argue whether He could let an unbeliever in if He wanted to but will never want to.
Old 12-11-2006, 01:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

He has said He doesn't want to let some people in, i.e., unbelievers. It's a semantics game to argue whether He could let an unbeliever in if He wanted to but will never want to.

[/ QUOTE ]

I sort of agree, which is why I said it wasn't necessarily evidence against his omnipotence. But it IS something that must constrain God. If he promises something, he can't change his mind.