Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-11-2006, 06:03 AM

Default Re: Anyone play this different?

So we bet the flop and get one call from UTG. How do we play a blank turn?
Old 12-11-2006, 06:05 AM

we bet.
Old 12-11-2006, 11:23 AM

After reading Doc's and others replies about betting the flop here with flopped top pair in an unraised pot where no one has shown any strength yet, I have a question. What if the situation were slightly different where the SB bets into us here on this flop? SB's range could be huge considering SB only put in part of a bet to see the flop. Do we think SB has a K with a bigger kicker, a set, 2 pair, flush draw, etc. and fold the flop? Or is this thinking simply MUBS and you should call or even raise here? Thanks in advance for any advice on this kind of situation.
Old 12-11-2006, 11:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
After reading Doc's and others replies about betting the flop here with flopped top pair in an unraised pot where no one has shown any strength yet, I have a question. What if the situation were slightly different where the SB bets into us here on this flop? SB's range could be huge considering SB only put in part of a bet to see the flop. Do we think SB has a K with a bigger kicker, a set, 2 pair, flush draw, etc. and fold the flop? Or is this thinking simply MUBS and you should call or even raise here? Thanks in advance for any advice on this kind of situation.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, we have a read that SB is loose preflop, so, while he could be doing this with a better K, he could also be semibluffing the FD, or betting with a weaker K, or even a T sometimes.

I think putting him on a set or 2 pair just because he bets the flop is MUBS. Also, I think you accidentally implied that if we thought SB was betting the flop with a flush draw, you'd want to fold. Might wanna double check that.

I'd probably raise here, tho I can think of some arguments for calling. The one thing I'm not doing is folding.
Old 12-11-2006, 11:44 AM

I guess I'm the only one who checks this to see what develops. If the bettor is one of the last two after I check, I raise.

My typical line with TPnK in these multiway spots OOP is to check first and see.

Edit: My reasoning: Plenty of folks will just limp along with better kings than us especially if there are limpers to them. We're certainly not getting anyone to fold with any kind of draw and their hand has a better chance of improving than ours. We don't even like our 8s that much. Another K is the best we can hope for and that's of course if there isn't another one out there. Our hand is weak and betting is only folding hands that are long shots against us. I say wait for safe turn and get aggro there perhaps.
Old 12-11-2006, 11:47 AM

I lead this flop. I have no particular reason to think that top pair isn't good, so I'm betting and going from there. Obviously I'm not going to get into any raising wars.

If SB had led into me, I am either raising or folding depending on my read of the SB. If SB is pretty aggressive, then he could be leading with a bunch of stuff (including fds and oesds) so I would raise to protect my hand. If SB were passive, I would just fold. I would never just call this bet.
Old 12-11-2006, 12:05 PM

Default WOW GUYS

guys, everyone is overthinking this really weak-tightly which is what causes ed miller to write famous posts. here is the correct thinking here:

we flop top pair in an unraised pot. the board is dry. nobody shows any aggression. we bet. donkeys call or fold. the turn is a blank. we still have top pair. we bet. donkeys call or fold. and so on.

stop worrying about people's stats and reads so much sometimes and just play the cards, and use those stats or reads only in marginal situations (some preflop) or if someone starts playing back at you or shows aggression postflop.

bbb.
Old 12-11-2006, 12:07 PM

Default Re: WOW GUYS

[ QUOTE ]
guys, everyone is overthinking this really weak-tightly which is what causes ed miller to write famous posts. here is the correct thinking here:

we flop top pair in an unraised pot. the board is dry. nobody shows any aggression. we bet. donkeys call or fold. the turn is a blank. we still have top pair. we bet. donkeys call or fold. and so on.

stop worrying about people's stats and reads so much sometimes and just play the cards, and use those stats or reads only in marginal situations (some preflop) or if someone starts playing back at you or shows aggression postflop.

bbb.

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably a good point.

Sometimes getting better means getting worse in areas we weren't once proficient in, for a while anyway.
Old 12-11-2006, 12:26 PM

Ya know. I think I like your check/raise line with this. I am going to think it thru some more but on the face of it- it makes sense to me. Fold to a reraise of course. Lead the turn UI? Check/fold if an A hits?

I also am not discounting BaBars comments that leading until fired back at may be best. I am too tight sometimes. I hate no kicker hands though and especially OOP.
Old 12-11-2006, 12:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well I'm OOP with no kicker. The guy behind me is 14/0/.25 The next two are loose preflop but seem to get away from their loosing hands and the fourth is a rock. I considered betting and folding to a raise but couldn't pull the trigger. An ace coming up on the turn or river would be a big problem if 2 or three stayed. Anybody holding a K and staying is likely to be ahead of me. At present there is no pot to protect and no real assurance there will be. If a pot does develop wouldn't I most likely be behind. The result I can like from betting is if everyone folds. I thought that unlikely. FWIW that was my thinking right or wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

To go along with Doc's post. Saying that you have no kicker is a bit of an underestimation of the strength of your hand. This might be a clue to why you are thinking that your hand is worse than it is and hence... why you checked! You have a decent hand here with a alright kicker. Bet it out! [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]