Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-09-2006, 06:35 AM

Default I played poker tonight

After taking into account CSC and mike l.'s consideration that perhaps I'm too straightforward with my play, I tried to look for some spots tonight at the Commerce 20/40 to take down pots I probably wasn't entitled to.

Hand 1:

Thinking TAG (he likes to raise, he likes to fold, and he usually only calls when slowplaying) opens in MP. Horrible CO cold-calls, horrible button cold-calls, I semi-CC in the SB with 44, BB folds.

4 to the flop. It comes down K76r.

I check, MP bets, folded back to me. I decide to call and checkraise any turn card below a T.

The dealer obliges by turning a 9, and MP obliges by betting when I check to him. I follow through and c/r.

Hand 2:

Bad donkey limps, I raise in the CO with KQs, weak BB calls, donkey calls.

Flop is J63r. They both check, I bet, BB thinks and calls, donkey calls too.

Turn is an 8. They both check, I check behind.

River is an A. They both check, I bet.

What do we think?
Old 12-09-2006, 09:56 AM

Default Re: I played poker tonight

Hand 1. I like the C/R here. The 9 is a pretty card to do that on given that MP is able to fold a hand. You post says people view you as somewhat straightforward so using that image here I think gets him to lay down any King. In the SB with 2 cc who play bad MP has to think you could flop around with a hand like 66,77, or even a stretch at 76 suited. Given the read well played IMHO.

Hand 2: This seems like a typical low-mid online hand actually...lol. With them being pretty weak players the check on the turn says "I have a big ace...so let's see one" and what do you know I hit my ace. Pretty standard IMO.
Old 12-09-2006, 10:10 AM

both seem like decent spots for mix up style plays. however they are close to being too marginal. imo the best way to add plays to a tight-straightforward image is just one or two really sneaky ones per session.

also the best spots are ones that don't cost many bets to try, which is why hand one is the iffier of the two.
Old 12-09-2006, 11:23 AM

Hand 2 is standard for me.

Hand 1 is fine as long as you image is good and as long as MP will keep firing on turn without a king.
Old 12-09-2006, 01:01 PM

I think hand 1 has a better shot at working simply because of your image and opponent. Not sure if the opponents in hand 2 would think enough to put you on a big ace and they would only fold if they missed draws. If they had a pair I have a hunch they might just look you up anyway.
Old 12-09-2006, 01:10 PM

I like the 44 play as a change of pace but betting the scare card A isn't that big of a stretch for you, is it?
Old 12-09-2006, 01:49 PM

I like the 2nd hand better than the first. The first is questionable because of all the hands he is going to call the cr with anyways. 679K.... There's a TON of gutshots with 2 overs (to your hand) that he is calling with. My worry is that he's calling down with the river pairs him. I like your thinking, but this is one I'd fold. Just so much he's not folding on the turn, and I never count on an opponent to fold a pair on the river.
Old 12-09-2006, 02:19 PM

hand two bet the turn. No reason to not attack more if you opposition appears weak.

Hand one. I don't know. If you won the pot, fine. If you din't I could probably tell you why.