Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-07-2006, 07:48 PM

Default JJ, really ugly board.

Table is pretty loose passive in general (all players' VPIP > 50, all players' AF < 1, no particular notes on anyone).

FT $1/2 (5-handed)
Preflop: Hero is dealt J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] in the SB
UTG calls, CO calls, Button calls, Hero raises, BB folds, UTG calls, CO calls, Button calls.

Flop (9 SB): 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Hero bets, UTG calls, CO calls, Button calls.

Turn (6.5 BB): 7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Hero groans (checks), UTG bets, CO folds, Button calls, Hero calls.

River (9.5 BB): 7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Hero checks, UTG bets, Button folds, Hero calls.

River should've been a fold I think, but I'm closing the action + it's a 9.5 BB pot, so I guess I "had" to make the crying call.
Old 12-07-2006, 08:38 PM

Default Re: JJ, really ugly board.

I think I would probably bet/fold the turn and do the same on the river if noone showed any agression [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] may be spewy though agaisnt 3 people? [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 12-07-2006, 10:58 PM

This board is ugly. If you check, you should probably fold. Bet/fold might be better to see what you're up against.
Old 12-07-2006, 11:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think I would probably bet/fold the turn and do the same on the river if noone showed any agression [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] may be spewy though agaisnt 3 people? [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 12-07-2006, 11:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i actually like this line, a lot
Old 12-08-2006, 03:00 AM

bet fold that turn. not a goddamn soul is going to bluff at you on that turn ( or so i think, i haven't played 1/2 in a while ).
Old 12-08-2006, 11:15 AM

Bet/Fold or Bet/Call the turn (depending on the pot odds at the time of the decision).

There are 4 Tens out of 50 unseen cards being dealt to 4 other players so there is a 49% chance that a Ten was not even dealt as one of the other players 8 preflop cards. If you can assume that even 50% VPIP will fold unsuited holdings of T7 or worse then there is a 68% chance there is not a Ten out against you. There are other holdings that beat you (QQ, pocket 7s, slow-played pocket 9s, 6s, or 8s for example) and the river is still to come but you have at least 40% pot equity (maybe better depending on what the competition's standards) given any reasonable assumptions of what passive 50% VPIP players will do. You need to bet this flop to either for value (when everyone calls), for information (if indeed someone has a better hand), or even to get a holding like QQ to (incorrectly) fold. By checking you are inviting all kinds of holdings that you have beat to play back at you. Bad, bad, bad.

If it is raised back at you then it is probably okay to fold unless the odds are present to continue hoping for a non-diamond Ten to hit the river (allowing you to beat all but exactly QJ) and 11.5BB to 1 is close (so when UTG raises and CO calls two).

Sure you will lose (maybe) 60% of the time at showdown but a bet on this turn is +EV and checking is "weak" IMHO.
Old 12-08-2006, 11:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This board is ugly. If you check, you should probably fold. Bet/fold might be better to see what you're up against.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah. Just keep in mind most of the players who will bluff this turn at 1/2 will just spit there money back at you pretty soon.

Don't outplay yourself!
Old 12-08-2006, 12:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah. Just keep in mind most of the players who will bluff this turn at 1/2 will just spit there money back at you pretty soon.

Don't outplay yourself!

[/ QUOTE ]

we cannot bet/fold, we have gutshot outs. I think we have to call this turn.