Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > High Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-07-2006, 04:41 AM

Default Re: Lacking Motivation

Jiffy is getting a bunch of undeserved hate. I have dealt with growing up with money and I have dealt with growing up without, as far as I am concerned I will do whatever it takes to never be in the latter situation again. Whether I like what I am doing or not, I know that the underlying goal is for me to be successful enough to never worry about the struggles of being without. Set your own personal goals and do whatever it takes to satisfy them, if you meet them I’m sure you will find happiness.
Old 12-07-2006, 04:57 AM

This seems more like a "Psychology Forum" topic to me.
Old 12-07-2006, 05:11 AM

OP, take at least a month off..im just coming back from a 2 month break and i feel as fresh as a daisy. it is kind of like a drug in a sense, as in i kinda had the itch to play for the first week or so when i took my break, but soon after that it was easy and i found myself doing other things instead of playing poker, like golf, running, etc...

its real easy to just fire up some tables when your bored instead of going out and doing something, but take a month off and really commit to being online-poker free for that time, you will be glad that you did.
Old 12-07-2006, 08:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Do you have a girlfriend and (or) engage in any physical activity like fitness or sports? You sound like you'r bored maybe you should plan something like traveling across the world and expand your prespective.

[/ QUOTE ]

This isn't really where I was going. Yes, I play sports and while I don't have a girlfriend atm I have enough friends and family and socialize/party enough that lack of human interaction should not be the issue here.

I guess I am just unsatisfied with poker and what it brings to my life (other than money) since it takes up such a significant part of it, but by the sounds of it a break and a fresh start may be what I need. I've been trying to take short periods of time off over the past couple of months but inevitably come back too soon I think. Hopefully between now and Bahamas, I won't be focusing on playing much at all as I'll be busy with Finals then go on vacation and see friends/family at home.

Also, I have been travelling a decent amount in the past year, mostly poker-related and some non-poker related, and plan to do more of it in the upcoming few months so maybe that will be a good change of pace from the norm.
Old 12-07-2006, 05:43 PM

http://www.bet-the-pot.com/forum/vie...ghlight=#26040

Mad Genius said.....

"I have to admit what happened today because quite frankly, I have never experienced something like this before and I hope I will never experience this again.

I was without internet access for most of last week and thus didn't get to play much at all. Today I finally got it back and started playing my usual 5/10 games on PokerStars. I had an absolutely terrible session and ended down roughly 2500. It was a combination of bad beats, bad situations, and ill-timed bluffs. Feeling terrible I decided to quit and hopefully have a better session tomorrow. Well, I told myself I wanted to make back some of my losses and pretty soon went to play again, telling myself that I would play strictly ABC poker and that no matter what happens, I will not jeopadize my stack without feeling confident that I have the best hand. Quickly things deteriorated and again I found myself at the wrong end of Top2 vs set, set over set, my flush draws/straight-flush draws missing and everyone else's hitting. In addition, what made me really angry was that every draw that hit against me was one that I could not see coming (i.e. gutshots, backdoor flush draws). I am partly to blame as I continuously called down with one pair or two pair hoping that they were betting their missed draws when I knew they had em, and seeing their backdoor draws and rivered two pairs time and time again. I completely abandoned my usual game plan and went all-out into a get back to even mode.

At one point, I had JJ OTB. I raised to 45 after a limper and the SB called. The flop came K52r and we both checked it. The turn came 6d and he checked again. Feeling confident that I was good I bet 60. He checkraised me to 160. I wanted to make it clear that I had KK and re-raised to 360. He then started thinking out loud whether I had KK or AA, and finally pushed it in. Now why would he do that if he really thought I had AA/KK, he had to be on a draw right? It had to be 78dd, I convinced myself, and I called. I hope I am not as bad a player as I proved myself to be in this hand as well as several other hands, where I foolishly became a calling station (which of all things I am NOT) as well as a habitual bluffer thinking people were smart enough to fold TP. Well, not a single bluff succeeded, not a single call was right, and not a single draw hit for me, leaving me down another 4500.

If you are curious how it feels to have lost 7K in a day, well, let me tell you, it doesn't feel good. I have been working extremely hard to build my bankroll and be successful, and to have my efforts of the past few weeks be erased because of one day simply feels miserable.

However, I have learned several valuable lessons today, and I hope you can learn them too without having to go through what I did. Most of these things have been emphasized over and over by people and I am sure everyone here knows these things, but it's important to repeat them as I feel that discipline is perhaps the most important part of being a successful poker player.

1. Quit when you don't feel like you are playing your best game.
2. Never play to catch up.
3. Bluffing calling stations, no matter how well designed the bluff is, is completely useless. If you don't know the other player do not assume he is good, as I have done several times today and been wrong.
4. Never become a calling stations in hopes of hitting your miracle cards and winning big pots.

What does this all tell me? I tilted and lost $4500 more than I needed to. Ultimately, how much is that 7K going to mean to me? Probably not a whole lot. But as an 18 year old who has never had a real job in his life, it certainly stings.

My plan is to cash out and leave myself a bankroll of about 6K - enough IMO to play the 2/4NL games. I am confident that I can beat the 5/10 game on Stars but right now do not feel like I would be able to, and I am gonna see if I can work my way back to 5/10 by patiently building my roll and working on the weakest part of my game - discipline"

So lets see. As of June 6th 2005 you were 18. That makes you either 19 or 20 right now.

Also, as of that date, you "never had a real job in your life"......so you were either lying then or youre lying now.

Later in the thread you state that you barely have the roll for 5/10, so you probably had about $25K or so. Now, youre playing 25/50 and 50/100? Youve been doing it for at least 6 months that I know of. Where did that roll come from? You didnt win $200K in less than a year playing 2/4, 3/6 and 5/10NL when you admit that you dont play that much because you dont like it.

You got the money from your family. I could go back and quote other threads if you like.

Read in that thread where your friends joke about you quitting poker for the 43rd time.

I couldnt care less how many of you guys like me. This isnt high school.

Genius, you are a hell of a poker player which is astounding at your age, but you obviously have problems in youre life that will never be solved by a bunch of 18-25 year olds.

You need to seek counsel, advice and life wisdom elsewhere. You have a gambling problem my friend and even winning doesnt fill the emptiness you feel inside.
Old 12-07-2006, 06:05 PM

o snap
Old 12-07-2006, 06:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Do you have a girlfriend and (or) engage in any physical activity like fitness or sports? You sound like you'r bored maybe you should plan something like traveling across the world and expand your prespective.

[/ QUOTE ]

This isn't really where I was going. Yes, I play sports and while I don't have a girlfriend atm I have enough friends and family and socialize/party enough that lack of human interaction should not be the issue here.

I guess I am just unsatisfied with poker and what it brings to my life (other than money) since it takes up such a significant part of it, but by the sounds of it a break and a fresh start may be what I need. I've been trying to take short periods of time off over the past couple of months but inevitably come back too soon I think. Hopefully between now and Bahamas, I won't be focusing on playing much at all as I'll be busy with Finals then go on vacation and see friends/family at home.

Also, I have been travelling a decent amount in the past year, mostly poker-related and some non-poker related, and plan to do more of it in the upcoming few months so maybe that will be a good change of pace from the norm.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't fool yourself. HEAD IS GOOD. Get a girl.
Old 12-07-2006, 06:41 PM

u musta spent a lot of time looking for that. thats kinda funny that u would do that. holla
Old 12-07-2006, 07:07 PM

you know what all the posts in this thread are [censored] retarded (not that i read any of them)

all i can say is think of the last girl that you [censored] and enjoyed or the last time you smoked up and enjoyed or the last time you did anything you generated pleasure out of then think about all the horrible things in the world and all the horrible situations in the world and you'll begin to enjoy things that matter much more than gaining pleasure from the one thing in your life that gives you so much more than anyone else in the world could ever imagine
Old 12-07-2006, 07:07 PM

first I thought he pwned genious then I realized the effort he put into that.