Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Heads Up Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-06-2006, 09:17 AM

Default .50/1NL river gone wrong

after getting villain to call 11 into an 18 pot, if villain is not on a draw how often are they trying to end it on the turn with a medium strength hand?

villain was very agg, did not fold, didn't show down often

what's a better line throughout?

Full Tilt Poker
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $0.50/$1
2 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
SB: $124.50
HUn00b: $76

Pre-flop: (2 players) HUn00b is BB with K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
<font color="#cc0000">SB raises to $3</font>, <font color="#cc0000">HUn00b raises to $9</font>, SB calls.

Flop: 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ($18, 2 players)
HUn00b checks, SB checks.

Turn: T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ($18, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">HUn00b bets $11</font>, SB calls.

River: A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ($40, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">HUn00b bets $25</font>, <font color="#cc0000">SB raises all-in $104.5</font>, <font color="#cc0000">HUn00b calls all-in $31</font>.
Uncalled bets: $48.5 returned to SB.

Results:
Final pot: $152
<font color="#ffffff">SB showed 3c 4c</font>
<font color="#ffffff">HUn00b mucks Kd Ad</font>
Old 12-06-2006, 10:33 AM

Default Re: .50/1NL river gone wrong

Tough one. If he doesn't fold much, you can't attribute much to his call on the turn, and therefore you're in a real quandary on the river. I think I make a smaller blocking bet of $15, and fold to a big raise/push.

Throughout - I don't know if I re-raise preflop, depends on how things have been going. But if I re-raise preflop I certainly bet the flop, because a big pair is a huge part of the range I'm representing. If that is called (here, he would almost certainly call), I check/call the turn, and check/fold the river unimproved.

But I play more tourneys than cash, so that may be me being overprotective of my chips.
Old 12-06-2006, 02:46 PM

I think you should just bet the flop. And then give up on the turn. Imo there is no point to check call the turn if we bet the flop.
River is tough one here but maybe I would bet smaller one too and fold to a reasonable raise.
Old 12-06-2006, 05:02 PM

Penguin,
Repopping AKs in HUcash is a must. It has so much equity vs all holdings, and the SB often raises loose enough range that it will often end it right there.

doh,
I appreciate that you're offering advice, but I'm having trouble following your reasoning. Could you elaborate more on giving up on the turn vs check/calling so I can understand why? With the hand range I had villain on after the flop check, AKs has 4J's, 3A's, 3K's, 6d's ~16 outs for the win. I was very surprised to see villain hold onto suited connectors and that was the only holding I was worried about paying off on the river.
Old 12-06-2006, 06:25 PM

Sorry. Actually I didn't notice we hit the flush draw on the turn so I made a little stupid post. Well, this hand depends very much on how much 3-betting there have been on pre-flop earlier. (what kind of hands will villain call pf?)
First, I agree that re-popping with AK is a must.
Then I think It's a must to bet the flop because villain will most likely to fold most hands there and we want to take pot home as soon as possible since we didn't hit.
Ok so in this hand if we bet the flop and the turn comes Td then we just have to shove all in there.
We are not going to give up hand like that what ever happens when there is so much on the pot already. So it's best to just let the villain make hard decision and maybe mistake. By betting strongly on the turn villain will have hard time calling even with QJ or something like that. It is easy to represent AA/KK/QQ/TT here. And even if he call we have tons of outs on the river.
But if the turn was blank then I would say it would be ok to just give up after firing the flop.
I hope my post makes more sense now.
Old 12-06-2006, 11:51 PM

i dont see where you can get away from this hand, but checking turn is good verus this opponent if you have seen him checking flop with AQ or other big hands like this before, but as played you have to get it in on river
Old 12-07-2006, 12:48 PM

The only hand you can beat on the river is a bluff. He's not going to push with AJ, and even if he is, does he call the turn with AJ? You're getting 4/1 that he's bluffing which is pretty good, but with the context of the board and his call on the turn, it seems more than likely that he's got the goods. Name a hand that calls the turn and misses here. I suppose low suited diamonds are a possibility, but that's about it. I would save the $30, even at 4/1.

Lee
Old 12-07-2006, 05:22 PM

i don't like your river bet, and i definitely fold to a raise.
Old 12-07-2006, 05:23 PM

also, if i check the flop, i just check the turn. what are you repping? you have a better chance of taking it on the flop if you want to make a move.

edit: although a turn c/r ai might be a move...