Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-07-2006, 03:18 PM

Default Re: Cash Games vs. Tournaments

I'm also a tournament player now dabbling in cash games. The changes I made from being a cash game donkey to a slightly ahead-break even player were 1) don't steal blinds too often, the blinds aren't big enough; 2) in a multi-way pot, be careful on draws unless you're drawing to the nuts, players usually won't put in big $ unless they have what they think are the nuts; 3) AJ and AT stink in cash games, it's a good way to win small pots and lose big ones; and 4) if you're short-stacked, narrow your all-in range (perhaps down to AK or AA-JJ), because of the small blinds players won't call you unless they have something good.
Old 12-07-2006, 05:09 PM

[quote[3) AJ and AT stink in cash games, it's a good way to win small pots and lose big ones

[/ QUOTE ]

only if you build a big pot if an A hits, which you shouldn't. Think about pot control the next time you play a hand like this. There's nothing wrong with just winning a small pot. Just dont lose a big one! AT and AJ are strong hands.
Old 12-07-2006, 05:35 PM

I too am doing well on tournament play (for the most part cashing every 3 games) however my cash game (Online) I am losing. I am very surprise how people with say 68o catch a 6 on the flop and are willing to call it down to the river in hopes they hit there 8. In the mean time I have AKs and don't catch either on the flop and can't get them out of the hand. Even if I flop to a nut flush draw people in cash games will stay.

I saw a player on fulltilt last night have pocket 3's call bets all the way down to the river with AQ on the board. I tried to steal on the river with a big bet and they called.

What is up with the cash players?

Also it seems that when you pre-flop raise in a cash games even with a tight reputation you still get 3 or 4 callers.
Old 12-07-2006, 05:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I too am doing well on tournament play (for the most part cashing every 3 games) however my cash game (Online) I am losing. I am very surprise how people with say 68o catch a 6 on the flop and are willing to call it down to the river in hopes they hit there 8. In the mean time I have AKs and don't catch either on the flop and can't get them out of the hand. Even if I flop to a nut flush draw people in cash games will stay.

I saw a player on fulltilt last night have pocket 3's call bets all the way down to the river with AQ on the board. I tried to steal on the river with a big bet and they called.

Also it seems that when you pre-flop raise in a cash games even with a tight reputation you still get 3 or 4 callers.

[/ QUOTE ]

stop bluffing, take one stab and give up. Simple.
Old 12-07-2006, 07:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

stop bluffing, take one stab and give up. Simple.

[/ QUOTE ]

It seems like your getting in love with your hand I ussualy take continuation bet on flop, and maybe a 2 nd barell, but I have a bit same problem has you. I have an aggresive Way of playing, Im doing well on 200 NL and 100 NL, but now I have to build me an bankroll up from 25 nl, and im sending 2nd and 3 rd barells bluff way to often [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] On that limit many playing their good hands extremly passive [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
Old 12-07-2006, 07:51 PM

very rarely 2nd barell at this level.
Old 12-08-2006, 12:32 PM

You could be right about both that I am falling in love with my hand and that others play great hands very passively. I guess it depends on watching the table very closely for the first 30 minutes.

I had just the opposite last night. I had 2 very aggressive players playing a cash table who though nothing of pushing all in with suited connectors and flush draws. I took down a hugh pot.