Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: with QJ
call 48 57.83%
3bet 35 42.17%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-06-2006, 03:43 PM

Default Re: AJ in the SB, middle of a MTT - Vote!

I think those of you saying push may be overestimating Hero's FE sligtly here. First guy I think you have some against, but he's opening from MP, not LP, so it's not quite as much as normal...and he's fairly deep, so he could call us a little thin if he wanted to. But the Button called the first raise for 1/3 of his stack with only ~2k more behind, so if you push and MP folds, Button will be looking at like 2.5:1 for the rest of his stack, and he will call fairly often.

I don't think pushing is necessarily bad. Synbad makes a good point about Button's range that I generally agree with, I don't think we're in terrible shape against his range even if he calls our push with a lot of it. And we should have a fair bit of FE against the MP opener as well.

It's definitely really close to a push if it's not one, as I think the results of the poll indicate.
Old 12-06-2006, 03:50 PM

Why am I the only one that has said to raise not allin, doesn't that look much stronger than a shove?
Old 12-06-2006, 03:54 PM

That depends on how much credit you're giving your opponents, I guess, timex.

I don't think there's any difference in terms of button's calling range for the raise vs. a shove since it's going to be for over half of his remaining stack at a minimum either way.

I think an interesting idea would be reraising to exactly what BU has left (would be about 3k total, so a little more than 3x the original raise), which should send a message to MP...but then Hero only has 1.5k more behind, so...why not just push? Are we really repping that much more strength by doing this? I'm not convinced many online players are capable of differentiating anything here.
Old 12-06-2006, 05:23 PM

all in or fold depending SOLELY on your reads here...
Old 12-06-2006, 07:58 PM

Just throwing this out there - this doesn't necessarily match up with my line of thinking BUT it does to certain people.

Does the fact that we are relatively close to the prize structure have ANY effect on your play?
Old 12-06-2006, 09:22 PM

i am in the minority of calling w excellent pot odds. not much fe ill take a flop and still hAVE enough to play if i miss
Old 12-07-2006, 01:37 AM

i will fold this majority of the time
Old 12-07-2006, 02:55 AM

I'm thinking that maybe "lol predicaments" was pretty good and I should have saved it for a more interesting thread.

Btw, I think this is a fold, but reads could easily slide it to a shove. Calling is almost never right, though.
Old 12-07-2006, 03:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think an interesting idea would be reraising to exactly what BU has left (would be about 3k total, so a little more than 3x the original raise), which should send a message to MP

[/ QUOTE ]

Although I voted fold in this hand, I have often used this trick of raising the remaining amount of the short stack, against larger stacks to get them to fold, you get more respect and less chance of giving better pot odds for calling.
Old 12-07-2006, 06:34 AM

I think this is a push, because you too are short and this is a great time to get chips w/your hand strength and the squeeze potential.

BTW, one thing that will really help in tournaments, is to follow this rule of thumb: if an unknown opponent makes an unusual move (like calling a raise for 30% of his 10BB stack, say), with no other information, it's more likely that he sucks than that he's being tricky.