Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-06-2006, 08:12 PM

Default Re: bum ethics

[ QUOTE ]
2. Most homeless people aren't just down on their luck. They are mentally ill or severe addicts, for the most part.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yuhuh.

Lost my bindle awhile ago, never had my hand out though, but, yes, a ridiculously high number of the homeless have those two problems.

[ QUOTE ]
teach the bums how to play poker optimally.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not quite the best of solutions for many of them though. Probably why some of them end up on the streets in the first place.

Aggressive panhandlers should be locked up or hosed down from a hydrant. Especially this woman: Shaky Lady
Old 12-06-2006, 08:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
2. Most homeless people aren't just down on their luck. They are mentally ill or severe addicts, for the most part.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yuhuh.

Lost my bindle awhile ago, never had my hand out though, but, yes, a ridiculously high number of the homeless have those two problems.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually the majority do not. However, most of the street homeless probably do. Street homeless represent a small but very visible proportion of the total homeless.
Old 12-06-2006, 08:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yuhuh.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually the majority do not. However, most of the street homeless probably do. Street homeless represent a small but very visible proportion of the total homeless.

[/ QUOTE ]

No argument there. That's a different group of homeless, though, families, etc. moving from friend to family to friend, for one. Note I said high number, not high percentage. Feeling nitty today for some reason.

As for bums that make their nut with a cup out or a hat out, they have no redeeming value. Aggressive ones are a scourge, and are a detriment to a city's safety, for people and tourists.

And then there are the urban hoboes who certainly can work and create income for themselves, but disdain the idea of keeping a place. Those people have never disappeared, either.

Took a while to get where I am today, but that's not something I'd return to voluntarily. It's too big a climb.
Old 12-06-2006, 09:18 PM

I don't mean to get all fuzzy-wuzzy, but I'm not inclined to say any human being has no redeeming value. At any rate, knowing what compulsive need is like makes it hard for me to refuse a desperate person, even if they are just looking for a score. And knowing how nice it feels to get a bonus at work makes it easy to give things to people - even if they're scammers it can make them happy.

The utilitarian stuff is less relevant to me. If there's even a relatively small chance that someone in my immediate vicinity really needs help, I usually prefer to err on the side of caution. And since it's impossible to tell for sure whether someone is a scammer or a genuine case, 90% of the time I'll be giving to scammers. Hey, I spend less on it than most people spend on cable television, and at least it makes me feel like I'm trying to fight the alienation that exists all about me. Chances are they don't feel any kind of personal conncetion, and they probably just shake their heads at the "sucker," but it keeps me rooted in the world and without it I'd be one step closer to sliding into my bottomless hole.
Old 12-07-2006, 12:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't mean to get all fuzzy-wuzzy, but I'm not inclined to say any human being has no redeeming value. At any rate, knowing what compulsive need is like makes it hard for me to refuse a desperate person, even if they are just looking for a score. And knowing how nice it feels to get a bonus at work makes it easy to give things to people - even if they're scammers it can make them happy.

The utilitarian stuff is less relevant to me. If there's even a relatively small chance that someone in my immediate vicinity really needs help, I usually prefer to err on the side of caution. And since it's impossible to tell for sure whether someone is a scammer or a genuine case, 90% of the time I'll be giving to scammers. Hey, I spend less on it than most people spend on cable television, and at least it makes me feel like I'm trying to fight the alienation that exists all about me. Chances are they don't feel any kind of personal conncetion, and they probably just shake their heads at the "sucker," but it keeps me rooted in the world and without it I'd be one step closer to sliding into my bottomless hole.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is generally a very healthy attitude for people who play a lot of poker (assuming you do) to have.