Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-06-2006, 02:31 PM

Default Toppair against a raise 1/2

PokerStars 1/2 Hold'em (9 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, UTG calls.

Flop: (9.50 SB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, MP3 folds, UTG folds, Hero calls.
(planing to donk the turn if a blank falls)

Turn: (6.75 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (8.75 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, MP2 checks.

Final Pot: 8.75 BB
Old 12-06-2006, 05:58 PM

Default Re: Toppair against a raise 1/2

looks good, i think sometimes a 3 bet depending on reads

what streets are you wondering about? or all of them?
Old 12-06-2006, 07:17 PM

I'm usually 3betting here, and leading the turn. If raised I call down, but I don't expect villian to raise the flush draw on the flop given his position. With this line I would fold to a turn raise, unless villian is a total psycho.

As played, I might bet the river.
Old 12-06-2006, 07:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

as a bluff? or for value?
Old 12-06-2006, 07:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Little bit of both. I don't expect any of the hands I still beat to bet the river. But I also don't put my opponent on a flush or straight draw with the flop raise, so it's possible that he holds a hand like JJ or QJ and may call the river. But he won't bet the river with those hands usually, so I make money from betting and lose a bet when checking. If he has me beat it may be with two pair like QT, and he actually may fold that, or may fold KQ giving me half the pot but he probably won't raise those hands, so I make money when he folds but don't lose any more when he calls (if I was intending to call a river bet, that is.) If he raises I fold, and still only lose the one bet that I would checking and calling, with the added problem of not seeing showdown, but really, most players are just not raising here with something I beat.

I hope I explained that right. I'm not always good at this.
Old 12-06-2006, 08:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Little bit of both. I don't expect any of the hands I still beat to bet the river. But I also don't put my opponent on a flush or straight draw with the flop raise, so it's possible that he holds a hand like JJ or QJ and may call the river. But he won't bet the river with those hands usually, so I make money from betting and lose a bet when checking. If he has me beat it may be with two pair like QT, and he actually may fold that, or may fold KQ giving me half the pot but he probably won't raise those hands, so I make money when he folds but don't lose any more when he calls (if I was intending to call a river bet, that is.) If he raises I fold, and still only lose the one bet that I would checking and calling, with the added problem of not seeing showdown, but really, most players are just not raising here with something I beat.

I hope I explained that right. I'm not always good at this.

[/ QUOTE ]

would you bet if you were last to act? if you would, would you be doing it for different reasons than if you're first?
Old 12-06-2006, 08:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]

would you bet if you were last to act? if you would, would you be doing it for different reasons than if you're first?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hard to say because the hand would have played different. Usually I'd be more inclined to check behind with this hand in position than to bet it. I don't know, it's hard for me to say in that context.
Old 12-06-2006, 11:56 PM

i agree about the check behind if in position, although it would totally change the context of the hand, it's something that i do see quite often and no matter how many times i see it, it's something i've personally always struggled with.