Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2006, 02:23 PM

Default Re: SF Bay Area Midlimit Games (other than Hold\'em)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I've not seen lowball at Oaks in at least a year, but I'm usually there late-night, so not sure about daytime.

[/ QUOTE ]
They spread it on the day of the Turkey Shoot tournament Saturday before last (11/18) - at least, this was according to a few players at my table joking that they wanted to bust so they could play. Got the impression this was a rarity, but I don't play there enough to know either way.

[/ QUOTE ]
It was running last Saturday (11/26) evening as well.
Old 11-29-2006, 08:14 PM

Unfortunately, there will probably never be a game. Due to the unique supply and demand in the San Jose cardrooms, they would never do it because there is a limit on the number of tables a room can have, and they'd rather collect time from more people (for big games) or have the game move more quickly (button drop games). Lucky Chances would never spread a successful game because the cardroom staff is completely inept. AJ's won't do it because they are extremely resistant to change. People fought like hell to get the NL game back there and it barely happened. The players also tried really hard to get a 30-60 game down and I don't think it ever stuck. The staff wouldn't let them. I can't comment on the Oaks, except to say the player base there is smaller and it won't likely happen.

FWIW, I played in the only mixed game ever spread at Bay 101 during the shooting star tourney. It was 100-200 HOSE and it was a blast. I wish I could play that everyday, but it's not to be.

Sorry for the bad news.

Dave
Old 12-06-2006, 02:53 PM

The Oaks has a regular 4/8 Stud game and once in a while will play higher limits, but not often.

A regular 4/8 half kill Omaha8 game and Thursdays it is 9/18 half kill, although sometimes Thursdays is 6/12 half kill. Omaha is nearly always going, usually starting around 10AM and often two tables (force move)

15/30 holdem is usually the max, but they often spread 30/60 depending upon the interest, usually Tuesday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Both of these games have force move tables if there are two games going.

The Oaks does not have NL holdem (city ordinance).

LoBall is offered and they will start a game with 5 people. They spread fixed limit 20 or 120, usually it is 120, and I have seen 200 but that is really rare.
Old 12-07-2006, 08:08 PM

200 limit lowball would be a total blast. Too bad I'll never see it... [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 12-08-2006, 05:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
There is a 10/20 Omaha8 with 1/2 kill going at Lucky Chances most Thursdays. You can call and put your name up on the interest list.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the pointer. I went tonight and had a great time.

The players said the game started at about 4 but it was down to heads-up play in the early evening (but still going.) There was a full table when I got there at 9:30 or so and it was full again when I left at 12:30.
Old 12-08-2006, 08:42 AM

I asked around, and I heard lowball was at Oaks usually Saturdays, if there's enough interest. Call up one Saturday and see if it's running. I think (but don't quote me) that it's either 20/40 or 60/120.