Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-06-2006, 11:59 AM

Default Gold\'s Gym screws me

Alright, 2 years ago I went and purchased a 1 year contract at Gold's gym in my college town. It was a 1 year contract. As soon as the contract is over, I discover I'm moving away and decide to terminate my membership there. I go in, sign a form, and I'm done.

They continue to bill me. A month later I call them and say "Hey, I canceled my membership." They say "Well, we'll look for your cancellation form. If we can't find it, we'll call you back". I hear nothing and assume the best. I am still being billed.

Another month goes by and I am still being billed. I talk to the billing company and they say there is nothing they can do, take it up with Gold's gym. I decide to cancel my debit card and get a new one, as I cannot just walk in living 200 miles away. I go overseas. Somehow, a few months after I canceled, they get my bank information and now are charging me 30 (membership) + 60 (service fees/late fees) a month. Anyways, I don't use the card very much and I go to look yesterday at my statement and they are still billing me, 12 months after I originally signed their paper.

I go down to talk to the guy at Gold's since I have since moved back and he tells me that he will "look for the paper". However, even if he finds the paper, it is in his best interest to throw it away so I can assume this avenue won't work. On the way out, I asked how long it was since I had been there. They said 412 days. I then go online and search for "Gold's gym contract cancellation" and find pages and pages of people who have experienced similar things like this: one guy's contract reads that unless he dies or becomes incapacitated there is no way for him to get out of the contract.

Before I had read about all the people getting screwed over, I was about to try and get what I could and write it off. Now, my sense of moral outrage is set off and I want to try to get all my money back. What should I do? Small claims court? Will I have a chance?
Old 12-06-2006, 12:09 PM

Default Re: Gold\'s Gym screws me

Small Claims Court

Did you get a copy of the cancellation letter - I'm assuming no, but obviously next time you know to do this.

Do you have copies of your bank statements?

Copies of your phone records calling the bank?

Proof that you moved out of state and out of the country?

Tell your story, be honest, and I would think you have a decent chance.

Also, the bank should have been able to put a stop on charges - that is comeplete horsecrap.
Old 12-06-2006, 12:10 PM

Also, I don't see how they can get to your bank once you cancelled your check card?? You seriously should consider changes banks if they will allow stuff like this to go on. The bank is supposed to be protecting you.
Old 12-06-2006, 12:12 PM

Wow, sleezy. They are never getting my business. Anyway, here's how you stop getting billed:

[ QUOTE ]
Gold's gym has found a new way to bilk people out of money. If you are not aware, you must submit in writting when you want to cancel your membership. If you sign a contract and just let it run out, thinking it will just expire and that is it, you are wrong. They use rolling contracts which continue the contracts at the end of the membership term and in turn make you pay when you are not using their facilities. Be certain that when you are done with gold's gym and want to cancel your membership write them a letter stating you want to cancel your membership and make sure you keep a copy for yourself.

[/ QUOTE ]
from http://forum.bodybuilding.com/archiv...p/t-46220.html
Old 12-06-2006, 12:20 PM

Not only must you submit it in writing but you have to send it registered mail. Make sure you do this or they will continue to screw you. Read your contract and make sure you do whatever else they ask. I remember I had the same problem as you with my GG in college and until I sent it registered mail they refused to cancel my membership.
Old 12-06-2006, 12:25 PM

Credit Cards >>>> Debit Cards.

I would never, ever put a recurring payment on a debit card.
Old 12-06-2006, 12:28 PM

I had a similar problem with Golds, I was able to cancell over the phone, but they did keep charging me after the initial year (when it wasn't clear at all that's what would happen when I signed up).

My other least favorite thing is that they give you "one free session with a trainer" which is really just 30 minutes where the guy tries to sell you on spending fuckloads of money on him and you don't do any actual work.
Old 12-06-2006, 12:35 PM

man...gyms are -ev I'm starting to notice that

they all [censored] you hard
Old 12-06-2006, 12:46 PM

with my gym I pay up front for x number of years, so it's one less bill to worry about every month and there's no cancellation.

almost every gym I've been a member of in nyc has only taken cancellations via certified mail.
Old 12-06-2006, 12:53 PM

Location: this forum again I will ban you. If you send me an email or private message, I will ban you.

one of my best friends is a paramedic. he goes to 24 hour fitness for 15 dollars a month as a result. also, he can add up to 5 people onto his plan for 20/mo more. when i found out about this i jumped on it. so i pay 20 a month, no fees, no one hassles me and i can go 24 hours a day. they dont have to be -ev. just make sure your gym doesnt suck. when i tried to apply initially they wanted me to pay 45/mo plus 100 in fees up front. no thanks. there are loopholes, find them.

rj