Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-06-2006, 02:06 AM

Default understanding swings

i posted a time or two about a 50 bb swing driving me nuts. i play 2-4 and i have about 1200 on FT..200 seems like alot of money ya know. its really irritating to be trying to play well and get fu(ed a lot in one session or two.

anyone else get really annoyed by variance. any tips on how to deal with it.
Old 12-06-2006, 02:35 AM

Default Re: understanding swings

I am going through some bad variance at Bodog right now. Here is how I deal with it:
1. Don't play for a day or two and re-read different sections of my favorite Poker Books.
2. Go down in limits
3. Play a lot tighter and try to get a winning session under my belt by only playing the best hands.
4. Enter a low buy-in SitNgo and just make the biggest donkey plays I can to get it out of my system. Kind of a stess reliever. Usually a .60 cent SitNgo on Absolute because everyone can afford to lose .60 cents for a couple of SitNGo sessions. Who knows, sometimes I end up winning them and that helps, too. [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

Usually this will work for me. Good luck, variance is a cruel mistress.
Old 12-06-2006, 03:03 AM

The first step is to try and ascertain what proportion of the loss is pure variance and what proportion is mistakes.

Work on the mistakes. Forget about the rest.

Ian
Old 12-06-2006, 03:17 AM

lossing a 25 bb pot when someone rivers a 2 outer or another 15 bb pot when someone has to stay for that gut shot. thats all i can see. its ridiculous
Old 12-06-2006, 03:22 AM

In those kind of situations, if you can prove you were a big favuorite to win (which it sounds like you were), you just have to find a way to take pride in the fact that you played it right and will profit big in the long run. If those monkeys never made those 2 / 4 outers on the river, they wouldn't bother playing them any more and your cash cow has suddenly gone AWOL.

Hope this helps.

Ian
Old 12-06-2006, 03:37 AM

I play 2/4 and had roughly the same swing tonight. I had AA and some guy was raising the hell out of me with QQ on a KJ66 board. Of course, the Q came at the river, and he provided to talk [censored] to me and tell me about how it was a good play because he didn't put me on the king.

I kept my cool and broke him about a half hour later. As they said, if they are beating you with dumb plays they will lose out in the long run, just stick around and don't tilt.
Old 12-06-2006, 04:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i posted a time or two about a 50 bb swing driving me nuts.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's actually a pretty small swing even for a very good player. Try this simulator:

http://www.castrovalva.com/~la/win.htm

Select the total winnings radio button and enter your numbers. Then click the "Chart It" button a few times and observe how much the black line bounces around. The black line is one possible set of results you might actually see. That's variance.
Old 12-06-2006, 05:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]

4. Enter a low buy-in SitNgo and just make the biggest donkey plays I can to get it out of my system. Kind of a stess reliever. Usually a .60 cent SitNgo on Absolute because everyone can afford to lose .60 cents for a couple of SitNGo sessions. Who knows, sometimes I end up winning them and that helps, too. [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

LMAO, I play primarily MTT's with some STT and when I run bad / start tilting... I enter the LOWEST buyin ring cash game and start playing like a donkey!!!
Old 12-06-2006, 08:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

LMAO, I play primarily MTT's with some STT and when I run bad / start tilting... I enter the LOWEST buyin ring cash game and start playing like a donkey!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

A little pot-limit Omahahaha will usually cure my tilt.
Old 12-06-2006, 09:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i posted a time or two about a 50 bb swing driving me nuts.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's actually a pretty small swing even for a very good player.

[/ QUOTE ]

That doesn't make sense, does it? I meant that even a very good player can expect bigger swings.