Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-05-2006, 12:17 AM

Default Re: Really dumb Vegas question

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Waiting 20 minutes for baggage is a pin in the ass.

AB

[/ QUOTE ]

fair enough...i guess it's just that my time isn't that valuable

[/ QUOTE ]

If I thought it would only add 20 minutes, I might do it. I usually end up waiting more like 30 minutes for the bags to start coming and 45+ minutes total. Plus there is the risk that they lose my bag. Approximately 5% of my checked bags get lost, but I have never lost a carry-on.
Old 12-05-2006, 12:20 AM

There you have it.

My time is valuable enough that I valet, to save time walking from the parking lot.

AB
Old 12-05-2006, 01:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
There you have it.

My time is valuable enough that I valet, to save time walking from the parking lot.

AB

[/ QUOTE ]

this is virtually free. i'm thinking of going to a gift shop, wandering around to find my stuff, not getting exactly the type of toothpaste i like, waiting in line, carrying a bag of stuff around with me until i get back to my room. maybe it's less about time and more about lazy now that i think of it.
Old 12-05-2006, 04:37 PM

Kinda seems like the time you save at baggage claim is taken up by time walking to Walgreens, buying your stuff, walking back. And then if you don't use it all (e.g., who goes through a whole bottle of shampoo in 5 days?), then you're throwing away some unused stuff before you leave.

So...you're not saving any time (or at least, not as much as you think), and you're spending more money with this approach. If you just pack your stuff and check your bag, seems you're losing little (if any) time, and it's cheaper.

That said, seems a close decision either way, doesn't matter that much. And it sounds like you've had lousy luck with losing checked baggage before...so maybe that peace of mind alone is worth the few extra bucks at Walgreen.
Old 12-05-2006, 04:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Kinda seems like the time you save at baggage claim is taken up by time walking to Walgreens, buying your stuff, walking back. And then if you don't use it all (e.g., who goes through a whole bottle of shampoo in 5 days?), then you're throwing away some unused stuff before you leave.

So...you're not saving any time (or at least, not as much as you think), and you're spending more money with this approach. If you just pack your stuff and check your bag, seems you're losing little (if any) time, and it's cheaper.

That said, seems a close decision either way, doesn't matter that much. And it sounds like you've had lousy luck with losing checked baggage before...so maybe that peace of mind alone is worth the few extra bucks at Walgreen.

[/ QUOTE ]

All good points, and thanks for all of the opinions and info from everyone.

I do not require specific brands for toothpaste or hair gel. I will have hotel rooms, so I will not need shampoo. I will probably try the airport gift shop on my way out of McCarran. If they don't have what I need, I will hit the MGM gift shop. I figure 5 minutes for the airport shop, 5 additional minutes if I need the MGM shop (its still near the front desk, right).

Agreed that it is basically a coin flip on the time, but I just really hate being at the mercy of others when it comes to checked bags, and as mentioned, my experience is that 1 out of 20 times my bags get lost (always delivered within 24 hours so far). Admittedly, there is less risk of this on a non-stop flight, but still a risk.

As far as packing the clear bag, I did not want to do anything that called attention to myself since I will be bringing down a fair amount of cash (just $5K, but alot to some people), and want to get through security with as little fuss as possible.
Old 12-05-2006, 08:10 PM

CVS is across the street, next to Monte Carlo.
Old 12-05-2006, 08:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Waiting 20 minutes for baggage is a pin in the ass.

[/ QUOTE ]

The line for checking baggage at McCarran on the way out of LV can also take a surprising amount of time.

To maximize Vegas time and minimize hassle, get yourself travel size of whatever you need ahead of time, pack it in the quart size bag, and add it to your carry-on luggage.

Then ditch it all and don't bring it back with you.
Old 12-05-2006, 10:01 PM

IT makes me sick that common citizens have to buy mini items to take onto planes. Has the Airports ever figured out that the biggest security problem at the airport is the screeners themselves.
I dont want to say all the screeners but most of them act and talk like they couldn't pass the third grade.
You would think that a job as important as that would be a little bit harder to have then working at McDonalds however you could barely tell them from most of the savages that works these security checkpoints.