Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-04-2006, 09:35 AM

Default small claims court a viable way to collect on small unpaid loans?

a couple of people owe me monies in the range of $100 - 300 bucks. i live in VA so thus have little access to mafia muscle. should i bother to take these smucks that wont pay up to court ? thanks this seemed like the best forum to ask in and sorry if its not.
jason
Old 12-04-2006, 10:46 AM

Default Re: small claims court a viable way to collect on small unpaid loans?

The filing cost and time involved probably isn't worth the effort.

The biggest problem is collecting -- assuming you win a judgement in small claims. You can't just go raid their checking account. You will need to put a lien on property or other titled assets (like a car). When they go to sell those assets, you get paid.

Of course, you could just do it to teach them a lesson, regardless of whether you ever get paid.
Old 12-04-2006, 02:19 PM

The word is "schmucks", not 'smucks".

Option 1: To paraphrase Chaz Palminteri's character Sonny in Bronx Tale, "For $100 - $300 you are rid of that deadbeat for life." Just make sure to bug them whenever you see them, they will soon avoid you and you will be rid of them.

Option 2: If there is a Small Claims process, AND you want to bother AND you have the debt reduced to writing, it does work to bug the hell out of them. If it is NOT reduced to writing, i.e I owe knifeandfork $100, signed Schmuck, then see option 1 above.
Old 12-04-2006, 03:46 PM

Who would go through the hassle of court for a couple hundred dollars? That's just sad you're considering spending all that time and effort. Option #1 in Milton's post is what I like the best.
Old 12-04-2006, 10:10 PM

mostly a principle issue i figure im not getting paid so i would like to be a thorn in the side and if i am able to collect its kinda like bonus. schmucks i see i had it right the first time i typed it thanks.
Old 12-05-2006, 04:27 AM

If you were friends and the loan repayment issue has ruined that, consider forgiving the loans. I would also consider letting them know that you value their friendship too much to let the money interfere, and it has been bothering you etc.

If you don't really like them, it makes a good line and may get them to pay you back, and maybe begin stalking you when you suddenly stop hanging out with them. [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]
Old 12-05-2006, 01:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you were friends and the loan repayment issue has ruined that, consider forgiving the loans. I would also consider letting them know that you value their friendship too much to let the money interfere, and it has been bothering you etc.

If you don't really like them, it makes a good line and may get them to pay you back, and maybe begin stalking you when you suddenly stop hanging out with them. [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why in god's name would anyone forgive a loan to save a friendship? Who would want to be friends with a deadbeat?
Old 12-05-2006, 03:30 PM

If you can afford the time, I think you should go ahead and file the claim. If they are hardcore deadbeats they can make it pretty difficult, but eventually you're paying the sheriff to come arrest the guy (he'll have to cover this cost), and you get to keep the bail he posts to get outta jail, which is kinda neat.

Anyhow, while the cost in your time to recover your few bucks probably isn't worth it, it's better for the world if deadbeats get tracked down. Plus, next time you loan someone money, you can hand them a copy of a summons you had for the last guy. Not quite as effective as a big toe, but it's something.

cheers,
-highland
Old 12-05-2006, 04:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
but eventually you're paying the sheriff to come arrest the guy (he'll have to cover this cost), and you get to keep the bail he posts to get outta jail, which is kinda neat.

[/ QUOTE ]
Excuse me? Far as I know we don't have debtor's prisons anymore. What exactly would the deadbeat be arrested for?
Old 12-05-2006, 04:51 PM

Sorry, only if the defendant doesn't show up does he get arrested. If he keeps coming, I think on the third trial or so they garnish his wages or put liens.

cheers,
-highland