Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-04-2006, 09:14 PM

Default The impact of mixing live games, Omaha, NL, LHE, etc.

I've started playing Omaha in addition to 2/4 and 3/6 LHE and 1/2 NL. I like OmahaO8 a lot, but sometimes the nits are charge and I find that after about 2 hours a play my brain starts dripping out my ear and I need a break.

Mixing games makes it more fun and easier and find a softer table. At the same time, I have noticed what could be the start of an unfavorable trend. My overall results are on the decline. Now the results are not big enough or long enough to be considered a true trend. However, these results cause me to ask the question...

What are your thoughts, feelings, reactions, results, etc. when you mix games?
Old 12-05-2006, 12:23 AM

Default Re: The impact of mixing live games, Omaha, NL, LHE, etc.

I'll mix games when the selection merits doing so.

I wouldn't put too much stock in seeing a "trend" via your results. If you really think your decisons are suffering then you may want to cut back, but I'd imagine even that would be temporary.

Beyond games selection, I've always felt that mixing games kept me a little sharper overall. Playing one gets a little boring.
Old 12-05-2006, 12:29 AM

Don't get me wrong, I love a good O8 game, but the game tends to attract a game full of nits.
Old 12-05-2006, 01:41 AM

Mixed games break up the monotony for one thing, but they also allow you to play against players that would otherwise never sit at a certain game (which you may excel at).
Old 12-05-2006, 02:00 AM

I personally love mixing up games. It cuts the same old HE thing and can improve your other games as well. Good point about finding a soft table. It may also make you find a game that you excel at a lot more than you thought. Stud 8/ob for me comes to mind. I played a lot of it online. The cardroom around here has a 3-6 game that has a lot of action from mostly any low chasers and weak high chasers. I jumped in and played a bit and found that not only do I love to play but I think that I am a bit stronger at it than I thought. Nobody is memorizing upcards and discards, so they just play their own hands for the most part.
Old 12-05-2006, 01:00 PM

Does anybody have a theory on why Omaha/8 attracts so many nits? I've always wondered.
Old 12-05-2006, 01:48 PM

Personal Theory, no backing:

Hold 'em (Especially NL) is the game they show on TV. All the new players rush to Hold 'em and forget about Omaha/8 and the other games. Most of the "nits" you'll find in the Omaha/8 games have been playing them for not just years, but decades.

You'd think after all those years they'd get good at it... but no... Omaha/8 against the geriatrics is awesome.
Old 12-05-2006, 01:52 PM

Actually that makes sense. I think that prior to the poker boom of '03 poker in general was nit-filled. It's just that with the influx of new players the % of nits at the average hold 'em table has gone way down, while at O/8 (and probably stud too for that matter) it has remained the same because the new players haven't infiltrated those games.
Old 12-05-2006, 02:20 PM

Actually, I think the number of nits is the same at HE. It's just that they're a new breed of younger HE nits.

Then again, being the olde phart that I am, I guess I fit well in the "old nit" category at the O8 and 7CS tables.
Old 12-05-2006, 02:34 PM

Default nit nit nit

Is there some a like to a definition of exactly what a "nit" is? Thanks,

-Tom