Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Two Plus Two > Special Sklansky Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-05-2006, 01:53 PM

Default Re: Simple War Bookie Line

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Also what about intercepting codes, figuring out ways to electronically get every enemy plane to dive into the ocean, impersonating the opposing general and ordering the troops into an ambush, contaminating the water supply with chemicals not presently known to man that will cause 24 hours of uncontrollable sneezing, etc. etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol, imo everyone is underestimating the 24-hour sneeze serum and technologies that will make every plane dive into the sea. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't a 24-hour sneeze serum equivalent to what's in my nose when I have a cold? I sure hope GB has Robitussin.
Old 12-05-2006, 02:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Also what about intercepting codes, figuring out ways to electronically get every enemy plane to dive into the ocean, impersonating the opposing general and ordering the troops into an ambush, contaminating the water supply with chemicals not presently known to man that will cause 24 hours of uncontrollable sneezing, etc. etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol, imo everyone is underestimating the 24-hour sneeze serum and technologies that will make every plane dive into the sea. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't a 24-hour sneeze serum equivalent to what's in my nose when I have a cold? I sure hope GB has Robitussin.

[/ QUOTE ]

Think almost undetectable microbes causing uncontrollable sternutations akin to Autosomal Dominant Compelling Helio-Ophthalmic Outburst Syndrome. It could incapacitate an entire army in a matter of hours.
Old 12-05-2006, 05:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is everyone forgetting Entebbe, the six day war, and the Maccabes?

[/ QUOTE ]

Entebbe is a hostage rescue mission in Uganda vs the PLO, not a war vs Britain. In the Yom Kippur war of 1973, Israel was in such danger of being overrun that President Nixon was considering the use of nuclear weapons against the Arab side.

The Maccabees are over 2000 years old and have no reason to be discussed if we are talking modern warfare. You might as well discuss Masada.
Old 12-05-2006, 06:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The problem for the British Navy is getting it close enough to be useful. Once it's in range of the Israeli Air Force the two British Aircraft Carriers cannot project competitive air power. Once they're sunk, goodbye British Navy. Didn't Israel even sink an American ship recently when it got too close?

PairTheBoard

[/ QUOTE ]

If full scale war between the UK and Israel did happen, the UK would have no problem getting air bases in arab countries. It would end up being the UK air and navy against Israel's air and navy. Israel wouldn't stand a chance in this situation. The UK would then bombard Israel's agricultural infrastructure and maintain an air and naval blockade. Israel would starve to death.

[/ QUOTE ]

Whilst there's some merit to this line of thinking, it neglects that fact that most of our weapons don't work so well if they get sand in them or it's a little bit hot. ;-)

I think the respective armed forces on neutral territory it's a UK win.
Israel wouldn't have a cat in hell's chance of mounting a successful invasion of the UK.
Us invading Israel again I'd opt for a UK victory, as we've undoubtedly go some of the nastiest biological weapons known to humanity stashed in a small bunker just outside Aldermaston - all developed for defensive purposes, obviously :-) All the UK would have to do is launch a few dozen Bio-bombs into major Israeli centres of population then wait for a fortnight before claiming some very arid, biblically significant real estate.

In terms of running a book, the original question is far too vague and there's only one winer in the three situations I've outlined, so it'd have to be a very one sided book to get me interested.
Old 12-05-2006, 09:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The problem for the British Navy is getting it close enough to be useful. Once it's in range of the Israeli Air Force the two British Aircraft Carriers cannot project competitive air power. Once they're sunk, goodbye British Navy. Didn't Israel even sink an American ship recently when it got too close?

PairTheBoard

[/ QUOTE ]

If full scale war between the UK and Israel did happen, the UK would have no problem getting air bases in arab countries. It would end up being the UK air and navy against Israel's air and navy. Israel wouldn't stand a chance in this situation. The UK would then bombard Israel's agricultural infrastructure and maintain an air and naval blockade. Israel would starve to death.

[/ QUOTE ]

My thinking was that getting Air Bases on Arab territory would violate Sklansky's condition, "No other countries (eg Canada) can get involved."

PairTheBoard
Old 12-05-2006, 09:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

PairTheBoard

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

My thinking was that getting Air Bases on Arab territory would violate Sklansky's condition, "No other countries (eg Canada) can get involved."

PairTheBoard

[/ QUOTE ]

If that is the case then this isn't a very interesting question. Neither country could project their power without air bases. In fact the only country capable of projecting their power across an ocean against a major power without air bases would be the US. Even then it wouldn't be a very good situation for the US with air bases.
Old 12-06-2006, 12:48 AM

GB invade Israel:

Israel’s army is almost three times the size of GB’s, however as the first few years of the war will be GB’s Navy and Air force vs. Israel’s Air force this wont matter much.

Move all boats to East Med.
Batter Israel from carriers.
Have Shipyard churn out carriers double quick.

When Israel’s a load of rubble, start the difficult bit, the land invasion.
In practice there wont be any Israel for GB to conquer as the neighbouring vultures would get there first.

Israel invades GB.

Annex Lebanon. and Syria. March army through Turkey, Greece, Bosnia, Slovenia, Italy and France.
Find channel tunnel blocked.
“Right lads start swimming”.

How about Japan vs. GB. Similar location, both armed forces similarly balanced. GB starts with a numeric advantage but I.reckon it could be close.
Old 12-06-2006, 11:34 AM

With the GB and Israeli armed forces, this will probably be a draw. The British don't have real aircraft carriers, so thier slow, outdated Harriers are going to get smoked hard by Israeli F-16s and F-15's. Then the British have a frigate navy, which is going to be useless against Israeli air power. Neither side has the capability to project significant power. Britain probably could't land much more than a brigade of marines even if their navy didn't get sunk, which it would.

So in the short term, it would be deadlock. Long term, with both sides mobilizing for total war, I guess the favorite would be GB. But the Israelis know this and they would fight very, very dirty.
Old 12-06-2006, 11:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Entebbe is a hostage rescue mission in Uganda vs the PLO, not a war vs Britain. In the Yom Kippur war of 1973, Israel was in such danger of being overrun that President Nixon was considering the use of nuclear weapons against the Arab side.

[/ QUOTE ]

The six day war was in 1967, and is different from the Yom Kippur war. In '67, the Israelis first attacked Egypt in the Sinai, who outnumbered the Israelis 3-1. This campaign ended with tens of thousands of Egyptians dead and Israeli commandos playing grab-ass in the Nile. Having dealt with the Egyptians, Israel proceeded to smoke the dug-in Syrians in the Golan. And they captured Jerusalem from Jordan as a sideshow.

The '73 Yom Kippur war was a more serious affair, and started badly for the Israelis. But they won in the end.
Old 12-06-2006, 11:51 AM

I have a much more interesting war bookie line: USA vs Great Britain, 12 month time limit. Starting today, the USA has to conquer Great Britain, and must complete the job in one year. Great Britain knew war was going to break out 1 month in advance; the US knew nothing.