Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-04-2006, 08:52 PM

Default 5-10 99 hand

Okay so I said I would start posting more hands, so here goes...

WSEX 5-10 handed
The note I have on the villain in this hand is semi Laggy
i have 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] in the CO and open raise
The button calls, and the villain in the SB 3-bets.
I cap trying to force out the button and play this in position. He obliges and it is two players to the flop

10SB
10[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Villain checks, I bet, Villain raises
You............
Old 12-04-2006, 08:59 PM

Default Re: 5-10 99 hand

I call down, expecting to lose more often than not.

There's a good chance that SB has you beat, but he may have a worse PP that he thinks is good on this flop, and since he's a semi-LAG, he may be trying to blast you off of your hand with his AQo or something.

Probably he's got an overpair or a hand like AT, though. I'd settle for being up against a hand like KdQd that I'm an approximate coinflip against, actually.

A couple of things to keep in mind:

(1) You capped preflop, which may somewhat deter Villain from making a play on the flop.

(2) Villain didn't get a chance to cap preflop, and the flop checkraise does represent a pretty big hand.

Still, like I said, I would call down.
Old 12-04-2006, 09:00 PM

A player who coldcalls is rarely going to fold for 2 more. I would've just called PF as we have good position to face him with 2 cold on the flop, and we can ditch bad flops etc.

I would peel the flop and probably fold the turn UI unless I had reason to believe he could be doing this with nothing or worse pocket pair.
Old 12-04-2006, 09:24 PM

I don't like a cap either, 99 is just fine against 2 players and you could be capping when you are way behind. I like a call down here unless scare cards start to fall. Probably pretty close between call down and folding turn.
Old 12-04-2006, 09:59 PM

Alright as played I called and the 10[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] came on the turn
Im guessing that if we called on the flop, this card isnt changing anything, and we are calling down. Right?
Old 12-04-2006, 10:51 PM

no, I like that turn card better than some of the alternatives.

I don't like the preflop cap either b/c button is just so rarely folding - once a coldcaller, twice a coldcaller imo. then you can go ahead and raise flop.

if another diamond hits I think you can fold to his bet.
Old 12-05-2006, 07:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Alright as played I called and the 10[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] came on the turn
Im guessing that if we called on the flop, this card isnt changing anything, and we are calling down. Right?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, especially as this is WPEX where the flop CR is apparently standard with any 2 cards - especially on certain kinds of flops.

Against a lot of oponents at WPEX I'm 3betting that flop as standard.
Old 12-05-2006, 11:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Okay so I said I would start posting more hands, so here goes...

WSEX 5-10 handed
The note I have on the villain in this hand is semi Laggy
i have 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] in the CO and open raise
The button calls, and the villain in the SB 3-bets.
I cap trying to force out the button and play this in position. He obliges and it is two players to the flop

10SB
10[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Villain checks, I bet, Villain raises
You............

[/ QUOTE ]

you don't fold
Old 12-05-2006, 11:29 AM

If you call down, starting with the flop check raise, you will end up investing another 2.5 bb. By the river, there will be about 9bb in the pot. So when you decide to call the check raise, you are really getting not quite 4:1 pot odds, assuming the call down goes as expected. I think it is still a call down, but pay attention to the reverse implied odds. Especially when improving is so unlikely.
Old 12-05-2006, 11:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
pay attention to the reverse implied odds. Especially when improving is so unlikely.

[/ QUOTE ]

he's got 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], there are no reversed implied odds here if hero hits his set.
There are obviuosly reversed implied odds if he hits the flush, but that's given.