Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Beats, Brags, and Variance
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-05-2006, 08:34 AM

Default Re: What is the worst beat of your life? Health/Family/Personal

When I was 17, I was on the phone with my girlfriend and we were fighting. I get another call, from a hospital, asking for my mom. Obviously not good.. so I say she's not home, whats going on? Turns out my dad was in an accident on the way home from work, thats all I knew, they wouldn't tell me if he's ok (which means he's probably not). I wind up calling my oldest brother, he calls the hospital, and finds out my dad passed away, had a heart attack and crashed his car.

This is all before my mom had a cell phone, so I had to wait about an hour, knowing my dad had passed away. She got home from from the store, and she was so happy because she saw a friend that she hadn't spoken to in years. Needless to say, try telling your mom that her husband of 29 years has died.

About a year and a half later, my mom was in the hospital for some abdominal pains, and while they were giving her meds, something happened that she got an infection in her blood, and her liver stopped working. At one point, I was told she wasn't going to make the night. (She did however, and is still here to this day).

So, come June of '94, I just get back from a scool trip to Germany, next month my dad dies, and within a year and a half after that, I'm making plans for what to do when my mom passes away in the next few days.

Went from 17 to 30 real quick...

(oh yeah. a few months after my dad passed my girlfriend tried to kill herself too!)
Old 12-05-2006, 08:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I need a pick-me-up. Nothing makes me feel better than reading others' misery.

I'll start with mine. Fortunately i guess its nothing too major, life hasnt yet kicked me too hard in the balls.

Telling my parents I'd been kicked out of univeristy halls for smoking with othes and covering a fire alarm (fortunately they never found out it was weed).

That time sucked, especially as it was right around Christmas. My parents were real disappointed in me.

Also, one of my best friends a few years ago almost died when the bus he was in flipped over, he was in intensive care for a few weeks. that sucked big. although hard to fully comprehend as he was in another continent travelling.

Please tell me your worst beat, whether it's disease, divorce, one of your kid's dying, anything.

Sorry if this is kind of sick, but i think it's good to get a reality check every so often.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's probably a toss up between my mom passing away from breast cancer, almost getting federally indicted when I was in high school, and my ex-gf attempting suicide the day after we broke up. The third one might sound like more of a beat for her than me, but the crazy part is that SHE dumped ME, for another dood. Bananas.
I enjoy my life though, even if yesterday was the first time I actually hated poker. It passed after a night's sleep.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is no toss up bro....sorry about your mom

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you. I only say toss up because it happened when I was so young, six years old, so it's a totally different experience from somebody losing a parent when they're in their teens/20s (not as bad, if you want to attempt to quantify these things). It's more of never having a parent than losing one, plus it's made me incredibly strong when dealing with other things that normally knock down most people.
Old 12-05-2006, 08:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
BUT I RUN AT 14BB/100 THIS WEEK SO SHIP IT CRUCIAL, HOLLA!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, thanks to the context this is probably the saddest phrase ever posted in BBV
Old 12-05-2006, 08:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
In 2001 someone tried to hack my dad to death with a samaurai sword in his office but succeeded only in slicing up his hands and giving him permanent psychological trauma thanks to his best friend and assistant who saved his life and got stabbed through the chest 16 times and died for his trouble.

[/ QUOTE ]

Talk more about this if it's not too painful, obviously. It sounds very interesting.
I am terribly sorry about all your losses, and while it might sound like a joke to say '14 BB/100 SHIP IT!' it is very healthy and good to look on the bright side and appreciate the small things.
Old 12-05-2006, 08:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
BUT I RUN AT 14BB/100 THIS WEEK SO SHIP IT CRUCIAL, HOLLA!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, thanks to the context this is probably the saddest phrase ever posted in BBV

[/ QUOTE ]

I covered that one, I hope, glance up a post.
Old 12-05-2006, 08:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I'll start with mine. Fortunately i guess its nothing too major, life hasnt yet kicked me too hard in the balls.

Telling my parents I'd been kicked out of univeristy halls for smoking with othes and covering a fire alarm (fortunately they never found out it was weed).

That time sucked, especially as it was right around Christmas. My parents were real disappointed in me.

Also, one of my best friends a few years ago almost died when the bus he was in flipped over, he was in intensive care for a few weeks. that sucked big. although hard to fully comprehend as he was in another continent travelling.

Please tell me your worst beat, whether it's disease, divorce, one of your kid's dying, anything.

Sorry if this is kind of sick, but i think it's good to get a reality check every so often.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's probably a toss up between my mom passing away from breast cancer, almost getting federally indicted when I was in high school, and my ex-gf attempting suicide the day after we broke up. The third one might sound like more of a beat for her than me, but the crazy part is that SHE dumped ME, for another dood. Bananas.
I enjoy my life though, even if yesterday was the first time I actually hated poker. It passed after a night's sleep.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you. I only say toss up because it happened when I was so young, six years old, so it's a totally different experience from somebody losing a parent when they're in their teens/20s (not as bad, if you want to attempt to quantify these things). It's more of never having a parent than losing one, plus it's made me incredibly strong when dealing with other things that normally knock down most people.

[/ QUOTE ]

yea being young like that would make it easier i suppose...wasnt trying to call you out...im just real close to my moms..sorry again man
Old 12-05-2006, 08:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yea being young like that would make it easier i suppose...wasnt trying to call you out...im just real close to my moms..sorry again man

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh no not at all, I didn't take it as calling me out. I took it for what it was, real empathy. Good lookin out mang.
Old 12-05-2006, 08:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
lol indictments.
trip report plz.

[/ QUOTE ]

Short version now, longer if it's requested:
I had an operation going where I made fake IDs and went in and took students ACT tests for them. Relatively lucrative. Got caught. Charges were dropped but I had MUCH [censored] to deal with trying to finish high school, get into colleges, et cetera.
I was one of those above average intelligence, super degenerate counter-culture types. I guess I still am.
Old 12-05-2006, 09:03 AM

Where to start-

Last year I came down with a mystery instestinal infection. I dropped over 20 pounds in 3 weeks. I lost my accounting job. A week later they finally did a colonoscopy and found I have ulcerative colitis. The day I was doing my prep (which was awful in and of itself), my mother almost died on the family room floor in front of my father and I. She had a spinal tap done the day before and had taken some antihistamine that basically poisoned her body. It seemed like the longest 15 minutes of my life watching the EMT's load her up and take her away, not sure if she would even make it to the hospital.

Fast forward to this fall. I get bronchitis, get put on antibiotics, which kill ALL the bacteria in my intestines that had been built up to keep the colitis at bay. I lost 25 pounds this time. I wasn't overweight by any means. Quite the opposite- I have been into bodybuilding for about four and a half years. I was pushing 178 pounds last fall. I am down to 145 right now, which is nothing short of crushing to me. I've never been a confident person unless I am lifting. I eat better, I sleep better, I feel better about myself. I was always the "little guy" growing up. I graduated HS at 5'9" and 134.

This of course led to a deep depression from which I am just starting to recover. I had to drop out of school (seeya $$$). As I type this I realize this is the second day in a row which I have stayed up all night so I can sleep all day. A lot of my posts recently have been made in the wee hours of the morning when I should be asleep.

Earlier this year, a good friend of mine was killed in Iraq. I was 24 at the time and had never lost anyone in my life. It was probably the most sickening feeling I've ever had to see one of my friends who I played football and partied with in his dress blues in a casket. It was the first funeral I've ever been to, and I hope I don't have to go to another one for a very long time.

A week later, my girlfriend, who I had a ring picked out for and everything, left me. It was a bad month. That was August, and I came down with the aforementioned bronchitis 3 weeks later (could have been run down from all the stress).

The last year (starting last October) has been one that I could have skipped altogether and been fine with.
Old 12-05-2006, 09:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Talk more about this if it's not too painful, obviously. It sounds very interesting.
I am terribly sorry about all your losses, and while it might sound like a joke to say '14 BB/100 SHIP IT!' it is very healthy and good to look on the bright side and appreciate the small things.

[/ QUOTE ]

CC, you get it completely. Life can be horrible but if all you do is wallow in self-pity then there's no point living it at all. Some of these things are really hard for me to deal with so a little jokey/sarcastic comment about something good that has happened helps balance it out slightly.
This should pretty much explain things.