Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-04-2006, 12:54 PM

Default Are there any 12\" or 14\" laptops with 2 monitor outputs?

Are there any 12" or 14" laptops with 2 monitor outputs?
Old 12-04-2006, 11:37 PM

Default Re: Are there any 12\" or 14\" laptops with 2 monitor outputs?

What do you guys think about this one?

http://reviews.cnet.com/Asus_A8Js_4S013P...7-32072095.html
Old 12-04-2006, 11:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What do you guys think about this one?

http://reviews.cnet.com/Asus_A8Js_4S013P...7-32072095.html

[/ QUOTE ]
"1 x Display / video - VGA - 15 pin HD D-Sub (HD-15), 1 x"

Thought u wanted 2 monitor outputs...this one has 1 besides the lappy screen.

Are you wanting to hook up just a second monitor or a second and a third? and for what purpose? 4 full size tables need 1600x1200 each monitor but 4 re-sizable tables or tables with overlap need less....what exactly are you wanting?
Old 12-05-2006, 12:22 AM

Thanks for checking the specifications so thoroughly! It seems like cnet have missed to write that it has a DVI output as well though. Here is a better link http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?l1...mp;modelmenu=2 . There asus say that it has 1xAVG and 1xDVI.

I'll be plugging two monitors into it and then I'll use those tweo monitors to play on. The reason I want a small computer is that it will also be nice to just a have mobile computer for whenever needed.

It seems to have everything I want it to have. And a bit more. But it was the most perfect match I could find. Asus was the only brand I could find that sells 14" laptops with 2 outputs. Acer was the only one I could find except for Asus that sells 15" laptops with 2 outputs. So I didn't have too many alternatives.

But from what I can see of it's specifications I'm really happy with it. Does it look like a good choise?
Old 12-05-2006, 12:37 AM

I don't know, man.....thanks for the better link, it certainly does show a DVI and VGA port. It will really depend on the video card (which is also defined in the link you provided), but I can't tell you it will do both outputs plus the laptop screen and at what resolutions.

Admittedly, it'd be really sweet if it can run all 3 at resolutions you want, but the native onboard max res of 1400x900 had me concerned. Check Acer's site for an 800# you could call and ask them if BOTH DVI and VGA can be used in addition to the laptop screen, AND what the max resolutions are if using BOTH external outputs. It it'll run all 3 at an acceptable resolution to you, then that'd be a pretty kickass laptop! If it won't run the resolution you're wanting or can only run one or the other external video port, then obv that'd substantially reduce it's value. I don't own one and I'm not going to make that phone call so I can't tell you for sure. It looks like a nice machine...but unless someone here owns one and can chime in, I think you're gonna have to call either Acer or a reseller to get an answer on that one :|. I wouldn't want to steer someone wrong on a lappy purchase that costs more than cars I've bought in the past 10 yrs lol.
Old 12-05-2006, 12:54 AM

I'm gonna hazard a guess and say there is almost no way that it will run 3 screens at once - if it does it will be the first GeForce chipset that can.

The important question is (when you call them) can this laptop disable it's internal screen and drive both external outputs independantly.

I would love to be proved wrong tho, as BPN said - a laptop that can do 3 screens would be sweet [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

dave.
Old 12-05-2006, 01:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
a laptop that can do 3 screens would be sweet

[/ QUOTE ]

There are Cardbus cards that can run 2 monitors in addition to the main screen and VGA output...giving a lappy 4 independent screens...but the resolutions of the 2 additional monitors are low (can run one @ 1600x1200 tho, in addition to whatever your laptop and external output can handle....so slick 3-mon lappy setups are certainly possibly in some cases) The Cardbus card will run ya $350ish tho. I think I linked to it a couple months ago in here, and someone else linkes to the same/similar product last weekend when that Hanna Montana errr Heather LouAnna gimmick account went on a one-day posting frenzy.
Old 12-05-2006, 01:25 AM

I guess I was a bit fuzzy. I'm looking for what dave is talking about, a laptop that can disable it's internal screen and run two external screens at once, both in 1600x1200.

I'll call them today and ask if that is possible. That is good advice because it would suck a bit if I bought it and it couldn't do those things. Thanks guys!
Old 12-05-2006, 07:11 AM

hey aflab, i've got an acer 15.4 screen laptop and would be curious to here what they had to say. I have no idea about computers but would like to buy a couple of 19" widescreen monitors to play on, sick of having tables stacked upon tables. Cheers.
Old 12-05-2006, 08:45 AM

wow. That sucked. Seems like it can only run two clones.