Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-05-2006, 04:40 AM

Default Re: Omaha Chasers....

[ QUOTE ]
Well what does answering this question solve? It is what it is. There are more -EV chasers in Omaha. Smile and take their moniesssss. And if they suck out take it in stride and gladly let them chase again.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're right - have been smiling and banking [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-05-2006, 05:09 AM

goose,

here is your answer, and it's a combination of two things. one, since more people have more draws in omaha, you feel like you're always getting chased. two, people who play omaha, and especially fish, are just there to gamble it up, and this feeling carries over to the whole game. I do lots of stuff when I dick around playing omaha that I know I shouldn't do, just because it's fun. Now I have a fun poker mode where I donk around, and then the serious mode when I play for my normal stakes. I think it's making me worse so I'm going to stop having fun at poker now in order to make more monies.
Old 12-05-2006, 05:08 PM

Its okay to Jam the pot with the nut str8...if you have other redraws like a set to fill up or a flush draw.

The big problem is getting freerolled, if someone else has nut str8 with a flush draw and you have nut str8 no redraws and you kids get all your money in, you are risking your entire stack to get it back, highly highly negative EV.

Many people including myself will check call on the flop with nut str8 and if we feel that the villain does not have the same hand and the turn card is safe we will gladly jam the pot then.

You shouldnt be asking yourself do i have the best hand, you should be asking your self whats my equity?
Old 12-05-2006, 08:04 PM

OP, the reason you see people calling down with naked flush draws, naked straight draws, etc., more in Omaha is because they have those hands more often. I guarantee you that 99% of low-limit hold 'em players wouldn't fold an ace-high flush draw if their life depended on it.

I almost never fold good flush draws in hold 'em, but find myself doing so regularly when playing PLO. I think your idea that people fold draws in HE that they'd call with in Omaha is completely mistaken.
Old 12-06-2006, 07:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
OP, the reason you see people calling down with naked flush draws, naked straight draws, etc., more in Omaha is because they have those hands more often. I guarantee you that 99% of low-limit hold 'em players wouldn't fold an ace-high flush draw if their life depended on it.

I almost never fold good flush draws in hold 'em, but find myself doing so regularly when playing PLO. I think your idea that people fold draws in HE that they'd call with in Omaha is completely mistaken.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're probably correct in this - and folding a nut flush draw to a bet that is a small portion of my stack (even if it is giving the incorrect pot odds) is not something I do often in NLHE, especially if I feel I'm gonna get paid off.

But calling a pot-sized bet - on the turn - with a 8 high flush card in my hand and a gutshot - well I just can't bring myself to do that.

But I actually saw it done twice this past weekend (luckily not to me) by 2 different players and both times their response to the rant by the players who had the nut flush draws + made sets (i think) - was "Shut up - omaha is a drawing game dummy" (not the exact same quote both times - but pretty damn close).

Like I have said before - probably has more to do with levels I'm at now. Can't wait until after Christmas to make a proper deposit.
Old 12-06-2006, 07:55 AM

I am not sure that people chase more at PLO than at NLHE ; you get calls by small flush draws much more often at NLHE, for example.

But let's imagine it is the case. You can explain that easily:
- it is pot limit instead of no limit. If you play pot limit hold em you will see more chasing also.
- omaha is sometimes seen as a gambling game, so I guess at the low limits some people come here just to have fun.
- you suffer big drawouts very regularly at PLO, so tilting is easier.
- recreational players have a better intuitional understanding of HE than of PLO, because of TV stuff and all.
- If someone is a chaser, he has more occasions to chase at omaha, so you see more chasing. (god my english is bad)

But I dont think that with 8 or 9 outs people chase more at PLO. I just lost 10 minutes writing an uninteresting answer to an uninteresting question.

++