Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-04-2006, 06:23 PM

Default (PS $2/$4): Middle Pair Against a Check-Raise

Very little in the way of reads here. SB has open-limp-reraised with AKs, and that's all the info I have on him.

As to the table, I took down the last three pots, but two made it to showdown, so I don't think he's as likely to think I'm making a move.

And lastly, once the ace pairs, anybody think there's value raising the river?

PokerStars 2/4 Hold'em (4 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Flop: (5 SB) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (4.50 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (6.50 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 8.50 BB

Scott
Old 12-04-2006, 06:37 PM

Default Re: (PS $2/$4): Middle Pair Against a Check-Raise

There are alot more combinations of draws, 6's and 9's on that flop than aces.. A two-pair with an ace is more likely to wait for the turn here, especially if we assume this guy is somewhat fishy (cc utg r in sb) and attempts to be tricky (LRR AKs pf).. So what I'm getting at is that a river raise is fine cuz it will be for value more often than not, and you will only rarely be faced with a 3bet, in which case I have no problem folding anyways.
Old 12-04-2006, 06:40 PM

I'm fine with river raise if you can comfortably fold to 3bet. I think you are seeing all kinds of stuff like 78, 9T, etc that will pay off.
Old 12-04-2006, 08:29 PM

I think you played it fine.

On the river, SB will in fact frequently have trip aces, so I wouldn't bother raising. (And with some of his losing hands, he won't even call your raise.)
Old 12-04-2006, 10:36 PM

i really doubt he will call enough losers to make the raise EV+

many 2pair hand have the Ace, the flush draw wont call.

and tho hands like 78 etc might call, i doubt those hands will be the majority of his range.

fold to 3-bet should be easy
Old 12-04-2006, 11:09 PM

Nice call down. Lots of draws on the flop, none hit and the ace on the river made it less likely he has an ace.

Strongly disagree with people advocating raising the river. It's likely oppenent has a busted flush draw, a pair of 8's or trip aces.
Busted flush draw folds, pair of 8's sometimes calls, sometimes folds. Aces never fold.

He doesn't have a worse hand that will call 50% of the time here.
Old 12-05-2006, 01:34 AM

Against a LAGgy player you might be ahead on the river a lot. However a lot of hands that you are ahead of will fold to a raise and a hand that beats you will 3 bet. Raise is not great unless he calls a lot.
Old 12-05-2006, 01:52 AM

There is no value in a river raise except against superfish. Definately negative EV.