Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-04-2006, 06:19 PM

Default Stealing from the BB - NL200

I've played around 15K at NL200 and never tried to steal with junk before from the BB against limpers (btw how do you call this play?) So I've tried to be cool here.

Btn is a really bad player 66/14/0.9. The rest is a mix of loose/tightish players but all weak.

Do you raise more preflop?

Prima Poker skin
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $1/$2
4 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: $52.45
Button: $118.52
SB: $69.60
Hero: $266.44

Pre-flop: (4 players) Hero is BB with J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
UTG calls, Button calls, SB calls, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to $14</font>, UTG folds, Button calls, SB folds.

Flop: 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ($34, 2 players)

1. What now?

2. If say we bet 30ish and he minraises (leaving him with 40ish) what we do?
Old 12-04-2006, 06:46 PM

Default Re: Stealing from the BB - NL200

I'm a new convert so I'm just going to go off what seems logical to me here.. 1st, I would tend to raise this up preflop with a hand where I wouldn't mind one or two callers so much.. With J7o I'm feeling pretty unhappy when I see the 66/14 and maybe even some other random fish come along to see a flop.

On the flop I would make a strong c-bet (as you did), and to answer you 2nd question, I would fold. We're often already behind, possibly crushed, and we have a weak hand in a large pot up against an opponent who probably isn't too keen on folding. I recently read that it's best to play small pots with my small hands, and big pots with my big hands.. Seems to make alot of sense when trying to make a decision like this.
Old 12-04-2006, 06:49 PM

why are you raising this pf?

its not worth balancing a tigher range here IMO because of the large -ev of raising here without a pretty legit hand esp. against donks.

if he minraise id fold.

DOnt raise OOP against a 66/14 please.

preflop is spew. there is almost no point to this play at these limits, not to mention all your villains are shortstacked.
Old 12-04-2006, 06:51 PM

Bet something like 25 and fold to any raise. Also I never raise with junk against a 66/14 station. It's ok to squeeze if you play against thinking players, but that's not the way to take the monies of these retards.
Old 12-04-2006, 07:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
preflop is spew. there is almost no point to this play at these limits, not to mention all your villains are shortstacked.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. That's why I've became 22/14 (I was 30+/20+ at FL fwiw). Villains seemed to avoid calling big bets PF but I have no doubt it's an -EV play. Let's say I was bored...

For history's sake.
Post flop: I bet 31 and he minraised.
I went AI for his last 40. I figured he can have anything there and the pot odds were OK. The truth is that I fail to respect the $ amounts in this level. Anyway he showed T8o and my hand held up. I am wondering how you can beat these guys other than showing the best hand every time or playing like a crazy gambler (just a rhetorical question).
Old 12-04-2006, 07:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. That's why I've became 22/14 (I was 30+/20+ at FL fwiw). Villains seemed to avoid calling big bets PF but I have no doubt it's an -EV play. Let's say I was bored...

For history's sake.
Post flop: I bet 31 and he minraised.
I went AI for his last 40. I figured he can have anything there and the pot odds were OK. The truth is that I fail to respect the $ amounts in this level. Anyway he showed T8o and my hand held up. I am wondering how you can beat these guys other than showing the best hand every time or playing like a crazy gambler (just a rhetorical question).

[/ QUOTE ]

why are you looking for other ways to beat them? its obvious, show better hands. thats it. you cant make someone fold who doesnt realize how bad their hand is, so dont bother. just concentrate on getting more money in with good hands and profit...
Old 12-04-2006, 07:56 PM

Okay, I've never posted in nl forums befor but here is my first shot. Why a)do you raise here? Isn't the main goal of playing against weak players is to put yourself in pos. to exploit them most? How does raising 7x the bb with j7 offsuit accomplish this? Considering he will obv call with a wide range of hands considering your pt stats, this play only seems to put you in a spot oop where you have no idea where you will be.

Secondly, I just generally don't raise to steal blinds because it's only 2 bucks when I'd rather be in better spots.

For the record, I made a lot of money playing sngs, and I'm trying to start cash. One thing I've learned is that when playing against donkies, it's usually best to take the approach of ABC poker. Allow them to make mistakes. When raising with j7, considering you know they will call, you are making an idiot into a champion. At least that is the term i use. He will most likely call your large raise with some crap like a2 and not fold his terrible top pair while you push the whole way. Now these are my thoughts. I dunno, can other people please tell me what they think.

Oh and per the actual question, I'm leading 2/3 of the pot and shutting down if he calls. I think once he calls on the flop he commits himself to the hand so I shut down. Sorry about the rample.