Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-04-2006, 02:01 PM

Default Re: HH Converter Thread - Construction

[ QUOTE ]
PLEASE MAKE MORE SUGGESTIONS LIKE THIS PEOPLE!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

maintain a server side db of posters SN's - If a person submits a hand for conversion and chooses 2p2 output - it pegs them as a 2p2 poster and adds (2p2) in brackets next to their name in the converted hand - then every hand where a screenname matches one on this list it throws out (2p2)next to their name as well - (similar to the way the bisonbison convertor worked)
Old 12-04-2006, 02:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]

If you want to do anything at all complex, it becomes problomatic. For example, tracking the pot size was a real PITA. The software also never has any "comprehension" of what's going on, so if you ever wanted to do any more sophisticated analysis (say, pot odds/implied odds, effective stack sizes, whatever) it would be difficult.

[/ QUOTE ]

can't you just assign the pot some variables, and run your search engine through the hand history to add together all the bets calls raises for each street store them and then print them out into the converted hh whenever required.

eg preP = total potsize preflop
flopP = potsize after flop betting
turnP etc etc

each raw hh has ****FLOP**** or similar stuff in it to designate where the flop is - simply total the dollar amounts in each raw hh between ****HOLE CARDS*** and ****FLOP**** and you know the value of preP and can display it easily rinse and repeat for each street.

This would mean you have to read the hh twice which would slow it down conversion speed one pass to calculate and store the pot size and another to search and replace raw HH text with prettyfied hh text

Keeping track of stacksizes for each player etc would need further passes and would slow down conversion speed more.

altho stuff like displaying implied/pot odds for a call you make in a hand isn't really neccesary as long as it displays the starting stacks in the finished hh whereas keeping track of the potsize is important for a basic conversion.
Old 12-04-2006, 04:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That was exactly my game plan. The best minds think alike!

Thx man.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not sure if PHP supports it but using XSLT files to transform the various HH's into your standard output would work really well.

You can provide various rules and even logic per site in the XSLT and it should work beautifully.

rvg
Old 12-04-2006, 04:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
That was exactly my game plan. The best minds think alike!

Thx man.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not sure if PHP supports it but using XSLT files to transform the various HH's into your standard output would work really well.

You can provide various rules and even logic per site in the XSLT and it should work beautifully.

rvg

[/ QUOTE ]

AIM Me? LegoPoker

I'm not sure what this is but I will look into it. XSLT has something to do with XML as far as I can recall, so I'll have to look into it more to understand how it would apply to HHs. I'll PM you later most likely, thx.
Old 12-04-2006, 04:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
PLEASE MAKE MORE SUGGESTIONS LIKE THIS PEOPLE!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

maintain a server side db of posters SN's - If a person submits a hand for conversion and chooses 2p2 output - it pegs them as a 2p2 poster and adds (2p2) in brackets next to their name in the converted hand - then every hand where a screenname matches one on this list it throws out (2p2)next to their name as well - (similar to the way the bisonbison convertor worked)

[/ QUOTE ]

Good suggestion. This is questionable though because if I am storing stuff from the HHs on a DB people might get suspecious/nervous/paranoid for whatever reasons.

Anyone else like this?
Old 12-04-2006, 04:28 PM

I would donate HH from Prima but I don't play FR. Do you need both 6max and FR or is 6max enough?
Old 12-04-2006, 04:31 PM

Actually, thinking about this again, regular expressions might be better suited for this since XSLT would require that you preformat the HH as an XML document which is a bunch of work in itself.

With regular epxressions you use the search and replace technique with advanced searching / filtering but it also gives you some ability to query for values - like extracting bet sizes to determine pots at various streets etc.

I haven't done a ton of work with either XSLT or Regular Epxressions but I have used them a few times and they both made life much easier.

rvg
Old 12-04-2006, 04:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]

can't you just assign the pot some variables, and run your search engine through the hand history to add together all the bets calls raises for each street store them and then print them out into the converted hh whenever required.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, that's essentially what I wound up doing, but it's non-trivial given the variety of actions available.

For example, consider:

Hero bets $5, UTG folds, UTG+1 raises to $10, MP calls, MP+1 raises to $20, 3 folds, Hero calls, UTG+1 calls, MP folds.

You wind up doing a lot more than just searching, because you have to also keep track of what "calling" means (amount of last bet) and the amount the player is already in the pot for (amount needed to call).

That is, when it says "Hero calls", you need to know: A) The current size of the pot (the whole point of this), B) the amount of the current bet and C) how much the Hero has to put into the pot in order to call the bet. In this case, pot=pot+$15. However, in the case of "UTG+1 calls", pot=pot+$10.

And these actions can be in any order. You wind up doing a meaningfull parse anyway. So I might has well done a real data structure from the begining rather than the "easy way" of search and replace because my "determine pot sizes" routine wound up being like 3/4 of the way there anyway.
Old 12-04-2006, 04:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Actually, thinking about this again, regular expressions might be better suited for this since XSLT would require that you preformat the HH as an XML document which is a bunch of work in itself.

With regular epxressions you use the search and replace technique with advanced searching / filtering but it also gives you some ability to query for values - like extracting bet sizes to determine pots at various streets etc.

I haven't done a ton of work with either XSLT or Regular Epxressions but I have used them a few times and they both made life much easier.

rvg

[/ QUOTE ]
Tickner, rvg, River,

I've messed w/ XSLT (non-poker stuff) and regular expressions (poker and non-poker stuff). Regexes are awesome, and regex matching for HH files is the way to go, easy.

There are only a few dozen line types in any given HH file; once you set up the right set of regular expressions to match them, you're done. You get your match, pick off a couple of variable values in the process, and pop them into your generic state machine. Tickner, I can probably even dig up some I tried out for Party if you PM me. Holla.
Old 12-04-2006, 05:34 PM

I dislike the of logging 2p2 screennames. Sorry.

Maybe a way to choose an alias other than 'hero' and store that with other preferences in a cookie would suffice?

Like the bisonbison converter, you could also alias villains on a per hand basis. However, not overly useful.

CryMe's idea is a good one, straight search & replace is ugly.

Calculating pot size will be tricky, especially with people all-in. I think Neil's chokes a lot on that.

It would be nice if the pot-size was less rake too.