Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-04-2006, 11:56 AM

Default Emotional about gun control? Please read

Check this site out and edumacate yourself:
http://www.gunfacts.info/

Here is a direct link to PDF
http://www.gunfacts.info/pdfs/gun-fa...s4-1-Press.pdf

It seems, on the surface at least, an excellent source of information. Everything is sourced and it's written so that any layman can understand.

I personally like the section on .50 cal rifles and the "Handguns are 43 times more likely to kill a family member than a criminal". After reading the debunking I couldn't help but laugh at some of the silliness.
Old 12-04-2006, 01:20 PM

Default Re: Emotional about gun control? Please read

AIDS is equally likely to hit monogamous heterosexuals as gay IV drug users, too.

Please report to the nearest reeducation camp asap. Thank you.
Old 12-04-2006, 01:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
AIDS is equally likely to hit monogamous heterosexuals as gay IV drug users, too.

Please report to the nearest reeducation camp asap. Thank you.

[/ QUOTE ]

If the facts don't fit your political spectrum then just turn a blind eye and pretend they don't exist. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 12-04-2006, 02:23 PM

Fact: There are more guns in the U.S. than cars (228,000,000 guns and 207,754,000 automobiles). Yet you are 31 times more likely to be accidentally killed by a car than a gun according to the National Safety Council... despite cars having been registered and licensed for almost 100 years.

Wow...
Old 12-04-2006, 02:31 PM

I wonder out of that number of guns, how many are locked in gun cabinets (ie storage), or otherwise out of everday use. I bet it's a much higher % than cars. I wonder if that matters, I think it probably does.
Old 12-04-2006, 02:57 PM

It does, and there are about 1000 other reasons why guns and cars are in no way related, but that doesn't stop these people from pointing that guns shouldn't be regulated because cars are "more dangerous."
Old 12-04-2006, 03:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Fact: There are more guns in the U.S. than cars (228,000,000 guns and 207,754,000 automobiles). Yet you are 31 times more likely to be accidentally killed by a car than a gun according to the National Safety Council... despite cars having been registered and licensed for almost 100 years.

Wow...

[/ QUOTE ]

This is completely irrelevant. Are you really this stupid?
Old 12-04-2006, 03:15 PM

The registration argument is not something I have a position on. That seems like awfully high hanging fruit for the gun-rights group. I have no doubt that Thomas Jefferson would argue that guns should not be registered. The whole point of the 2nd amendment is to remind the politicians the populace hold a "spirit of resistance". Gun registration hampers that ability in a very drastic way. However, I see a very strong case in support of handgun registration. That is a very serious argument and not one I wish to get involved in. I just liked this PDF because it debunked a lot of very common myths and gave a source for all it's facts.
Old 12-04-2006, 03:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have no doubt that Thomas Jefferson would argue that guns should not be registered.

[/ QUOTE ]

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

- Thomas Jefferson
Old 12-04-2006, 03:28 PM

Criminals have guns, Policemen have guns. I trust neither of them. However I don't want a gun because they scare the crap out of me and are more likely to kill a family member etc etc. But, if someone else wants to take on all those risks why shouldn't he be allowed to. Other people owning guns is a positive externality for me because I get the benefits of criminals being more reluctant to rob me not knowing whether I have a gun or not without the risks involved in actually owning a gun.

In a Propertarian world we would be forcing people to have guns. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]