Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-04-2006, 02:11 PM

Default Re: Omaha Chasers....

There is more chasing in omaha because you have a way better chance to have a drawing hand than in hold em. Its simple math because you have 4 cards. Yes, I do typically call PSB with draws because of implied odds and the fact I like to gamble.
Old 12-04-2006, 02:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There is more chasing in omaha because you have a way better chance to have a drawing hand than in hold em. Its simple math because you have 4 cards. Yes, I do typically call PSB with draws because of implied odds and the fact I like to gamble.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm getting a headache [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] - if the <font color="red">DRAW IS THE SAME</font> in hold'em or omaha - nothing more - NO redraws, NO backdoor draws etc etc - I find it strange that people will chase more in omaha than in hold'em.

Now as far as gambling goes.... well hey that I understand - I have been known to call PSB's also [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] for the implied odds - but I do it more in NLHE than I do in omaha. I find too often that in omaha once a flush hits the action dies so the implied odds aren't nearly as good.
Old 12-04-2006, 02:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

BUT [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

As far as that hand goes I find it funny that the OP doesn't even consider the fact that he is beat by JT after the flop and only starts to worry after the 10 hits on the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

How did I not consider this? I folded the river because a lot of two card draws hit on the river that he could easily be calling with.

[/ QUOTE ]

I understand the fold 10000000% - and have no problem with it, it's just that you said [ QUOTE ]
then i was trying to charge his draws by betting pot on the flop and turn. on the end a ton of straight draws got there so i gave up

[/ QUOTE ]but there was already the possibility of a made straight after the flop - of course the 10 added more options - but if the 10 didn't come are you calling his bet anyway?

Besides, I don't have a problem with the way you played the hand (other than the fact that you might have been betting into a made straight after the flop) - it was more the repsonses to my posts about not pushing just because there is a flush draw on the board - and that in hold'em he would do it.
Old 12-04-2006, 02:38 PM

Quote: I'm getting a headache - if the DRAW IS THE SAME in hold'em or omaha - nothing more - NO redraws, NO backdoor draws etc etc - I find it strange that people will chase more in omaha than in hold'em.

I guess I will argue they don't chase more in omaha. It just seems like more because your drawing soo many more hands in omaha. But its probably even a less % than holdem. Players probably chase less in omaha because anything less than a ace high flush draw is basically junk. In hold em.. any flush draw is worth drawing too. And like I said before- nobody in omaha is going to lay down a draw for a PSB even if it is mathematically correct to fold.
Old 12-04-2006, 02:45 PM

Must be the low limits I play at - but I have seen more chasing in omaha with crap - no multiple draws etc. - than I did at NLHE.

One more reason to build my BR [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-04-2006, 03:04 PM

I'm not sure if this is a troll or not, but the reason you don't want to push with deep stacks on a flop of 8c9hTc with a nacked JQ is that the only hands I good player will take to the felt against you will have you at an equity loss; either a combo flushdraw+gutshot/pair/set that could have between 55 and 60% equity, or the same nut flush that you have with at least a 9 out redraw.

Assuming PLO100 and a pot of $14 after a raise and a couple calls, if you push your straight on the flop against the same hand with a redraw, you are basically risking a 33%+ chance of losing YOUR WHOLE STACK for the 66% chance of winning half of $14. If you think this is okay, then go right ahead.
Old 12-04-2006, 03:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I'm getting a headache [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] - if the <font color="red">DRAW IS THE SAME</font> in hold'em or omaha - nothing more - NO redraws, NO backdoor draws etc etc - I find it strange that people will chase more in omaha than in hold'em.

[/ QUOTE ]
One reason to call with a weak draw is so you can represent something else if it hits, a lot of the time even if you miss your draw you might hit something that will scare the other guy off.
Old 12-04-2006, 03:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not sure if this is a troll or not, but the reason you don't want to push with deep stacks on a flop of 8c9hTc with a nacked JQ is that the only hands I good player will take to the felt against you will have you at an equity loss; either a combo flushdraw+gutshot/pair/set that could have between 55 and 60% equity, or the same nut flush that you have with at least a 9 out redraw.

Assuming PLO100 and a pot of $14 after a raise and a couple calls, if you push your straight on the flop against the same hand with a redraw, you are basically risking a 33%+ chance of losing YOUR WHOLE STACK for the 66% chance of winning half of $14. If you think this is okay, then go right ahead.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point &amp; I follow what you are saying, but if you are holding JQ and the flop comes 89T - you won't put in a bet as EP, what about LP/Button? or if someone in EP makes a PSB you won't call? I'm not saying go nutz here - but I sure won't lay it down.

But more to the point - and the orignal topic of this thread was I have found that people will chase more with the same holdings/outs than they will in NLHE. Like you said only good players will call down with hands that have 55-60% equity - but I have seen much worse - again probably says more about the limits I play.

Just trying to get smarter...
Old 12-04-2006, 03:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
One reason to call with a weak draw is so you can represent something else if it hits, a lot of the time even if you miss your draw you might hit something that will scare the other guy off.

[/ QUOTE ]

So just like every other form of poker [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] it's just that I have seen so many crap calls in the past little while, it's been amazing.
Old 12-04-2006, 03:47 PM

I see stupid calls in NL as well. Similarly, the pot-limit nature of Omaha encourages calling, because players know they're getting 2-1 straight odds and so can't be doing anything TOO awful.

I will often check the nut straight on a dangerous 89T type board in EP, because I know that if I bet I can't stand a raise. depending on the texture of the table, I check it in LP fairly often as well to encourage action from worse straights and weaker made hands if the turn is a blank.