Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-04-2006, 10:55 AM

Default AA, good fold or weak?

Villain is something like 50/8/9. this is over only 30 hands.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (5 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

BB ($90.56)
Hero ($170.50)
MP ($239.65)
Button ($100)
SB ($86.90)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $0.50.
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $4</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, SB (poster) calls $3.50, BB calls $3.

Flop: ($12) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets $3</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $9</font>, SB folds, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to $20</font>, Hero calls $11.

Turn: ($52) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB calls $89.56 (All-In), Hero folds.

Final Pot: $141.56

with a guy this loose im terrified that he hit two pair, as any two pair is within his range, and i know hes aggro, but i can't see what else he's doing this with.
Old 12-04-2006, 10:59 AM

Default Re: AA, good fold or weak?

not an automatic fold, but yeah, that is pretty standard

raise the flop a little more, but everything else is fine.
Old 12-04-2006, 11:08 AM

alright, heres another question

say villain leads turn for 1/2 pot. in this situation if i call i know he's going to push the river, do you still fold for 1/2 or 2/5 the pot on the turn?
Old 12-04-2006, 11:16 AM

I don't get it.

BB has a $90 stack preflop yet shoves for $89 after calling a $4 preflop raise and putting $20 in on the flop.

Against a 50/8/9 with half a buyin who overbet shoves the turn, I'm calling this all day. He's not exactly value betting his hand.
Old 12-04-2006, 11:17 AM

Mr. Mysterious,

I agree with ikestoys advice that raising the flop more is a must. Against a tricky player of this type we must resist the urge to create ambiguity. Players of this type look for weakness, and unless you were trapping on the flop, you should raise more say $14+.

"say villain leads turn for 1/2 pot. in this situation if i call i know he's going to push the river, do you still fold for 1/2 or 2/5 the pot on the turn?"

As played I would call the turn (just because I think our weak flop raise has shown weakness and the chance that he is trying to push me off my hand has gone up). However, if we had shown more strength on the flop, gotten reraised and then lead into on the turn- then I would fold the turn for 1/2 a pot bet.
Old 12-04-2006, 11:25 AM

While I agree that you need to raise more on the flop, I think someone who's prone to minibetting/raising himself isn't someone who's capable of attacking smallish raises like this.

If he's not aware of his own mistake, how can he be aware of someone elses?
Old 12-04-2006, 11:27 AM

i see why your all saying raise flop more it woulda made my spot a bit easier. (my thinking was that i just raise to a standard continuation bet when im raised peanuts.)

either way, thanks for the input
Old 12-04-2006, 12:27 PM

The amounts seem to be off here, BB should only have around $65 left after that 3-bet on the flop. Tough, but his stats are bad enough that I can't believe a 4-bet AI is -EV in this spot. (<u>edit</u>-Oh small sample size...)
Old 12-04-2006, 12:54 PM

I don't think I am folding to this guy for less than half a stack the way this hand played out. There are times to fold big overpairs HU against short-stacks but this is not one of them.