FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-03-2006, 08:46 PM

Default Re: My Basic Thought On Free Will

free = to have no external determinants

will = conscious purpose

free will = conscious purpose without external determinants
Old 12-03-2006, 08:52 PM

"Is the intuition that deliberation (rather than uncertainty) about free will implies free will?"

Yes of course that was what I meant.
Old 12-03-2006, 09:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If there is no free will, does it mean that there is an algorithm that will predict all future actions?

[/ QUOTE ]

No.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't understand. Is the answer no because there is true randomness in the states the human encounters? If so, does this mean there is an algorithm which takes as input the state of the universe and outputs the human's decision?
Old 12-03-2006, 09:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If there is no free will, does it mean that there is an algorithm that will predict all future actions?

[/ QUOTE ]

No.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have to disagree. Well sort of anyway. If we don't have free will then it is implied that an external influence is responsible for the "choices" we make. That influence could be broadly categorised into 2 possibilities. One is that the software hardwired into our brains is the sole mechanism responsible for our actions and that we're unable to transcend this programming, so once we are born we are essentially on autopilot. This encompases fnord's suggestion that:

[ QUOTE ]
if you reproduced the universe exactly, down to quantum states that were collapsed into and not, you would get the same decision from a human every single time.

[/ QUOTE ]

The other possibility is that we are subject to, with some undetermined frequency, the ongoing influence of another entity or entities. The entity/ies could be something like a deity who played a part in our creation or who was otherwise charged with the responsibility of influencing some/all aspects of our existence. We could be part of an MMORPG type existence whereby some beings using quantum gamepads exercise a very hands-on level of control over our daily lives (disclaimer: I do not and have not ever played an MMORPG). Anyways I'm getting off track here.

Assuming the first possibility is true and the second is false (I guess a combination of both being true is possible) then the relevant external influence ended long ago when the wheels were set in motion that resulted in our biological evolution. Therefore, though the model would be extremely complex and have many variables, it must be theoretically possible to predict future actions assuming a given "brain state" and specific input.

So to answer the question: [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Depending on the nature of the external influence, yes.
Old 12-03-2006, 10:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]

will = conscious purpose

[/ QUOTE ]

So, if all of my actions are determined by the molecular configuration of my body at the time that I act, is that "free will" since nothing external is at work?
Old 12-03-2006, 10:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

will = conscious purpose

[/ QUOTE ]

So, if all of my actions are determined by the molecular configuration of my body at the time that I act, is that "free will" since nothing external is at work?

[/ QUOTE ]

No. Why does the external influence need to be perpetual, or even current? Your molecular configuration may be a result of past external influences.
Old 12-03-2006, 10:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

will = conscious purpose

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Under those conditions, I'd say you would technically qualify as free. However, since consciousness is not, or at least has never been shown to be, reducible to molecular configurations, you would basically be an autonomous robot.
Old 12-03-2006, 10:53 PM

"Having free will" implies that it was given to us.
Old 12-03-2006, 11:08 PM

Free will implies that having made a choice, it is always possible that one might have chosen otherwise.
If its not possible that one could have chosen otherwise then there is no freewill.
My question to those who believe on free will, how could I have chosen differently?
Old 12-03-2006, 11:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't understand. Is the answer no because there is true randomness in the states the human encounters? If so, does this mean there is an algorithm which takes as input the state of the universe and outputs the human's decision?

[/ QUOTE ]

In theory it is possible, you just create an exact model of the universe and just watch it to see what is going to happen.

In practices I believe it is logically beyond humans to completely predict the future in this way, as the universe satisfies the conditions of Gödel’s theorem.