Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-02-2006, 01:10 AM

Default I suck, advice needed

I'm having a recurring problem. I'll get deep and crash etc. in the nightly big tournements, get pissed/depressed and just completely donk off in the smaller tournies that follow. Honestly, I've played some of the worst poker of my life tonight, and it's happened before.

I tell myself to play like a super nit when i get aggrivated, but I dont listen to myself. I have ADHD and forgot to take the pills today, so not surprised it's worse than normal, but I still need to find the right frame of mind for these. In sng's I never cared, cause I would just start some more. Problem with these is I really do care when I bust in the stuper/109r's/etc.

all thoughts apreciated.....
Old 12-02-2006, 04:53 AM

Default Re: I suck, advice needed

I don't think you'll find what you're looking for in the MTT forum. Try psychology?
Old 12-02-2006, 05:02 AM

ok, ill put it there too, can't hurt
Old 12-02-2006, 05:31 AM

Not that it's any of my business but my first thought was to question whether or not you were properly bankrolled for the Stuper or 109's?

No offense intended- I'm just getting reacquainted around here.

But if not, you might feel a lot of pressure to score. Or perhaps playing with such a relatively large percentage of your roll is exciting you in a way that the other tournies do not.

-D.
Old 12-02-2006, 05:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Not that it's any of my business but my first thought was to question whether or not you were properly bankrolled for the Stuper or 109's?

No offense intended- I'm just getting reacquainted around here.

But if not, you might feel a lot of pressure to score. Or perhaps playing with such a relatively large percentage of your roll is exciting you in a way that the other tournies do not.

-D.

[/ QUOTE ]

no, thats definately a valid point, but in my case, bankroll is sufficient (well over 100 buyins up to the $215's, but marginal for 109r's and $530's. I stop playing the 109r's whenever I run bad), long term results are good, etc.
Old 12-02-2006, 08:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm having a recurring problem. I'll get deep and crash etc. in the nightly big tournements, get pissed/depressed and just completely donk off in the smaller tournies that follow. Honestly, I've played some of the worst poker of my life tonight, and it's happened before.

I tell myself to play like a super nit when i get aggrivated, but I dont listen to myself. I have ADHD and forgot to take the pills today, so not surprised it's worse than normal, but I still need to find the right frame of mind for these. In sng's I never cared, cause I would just start some more. Problem with these is I really do care when I bust in the stuper/109r's/etc.

all thoughts apreciated.....

[/ QUOTE ]

You need to re-evaluate why you care about these tourneys so much that losing one affects your other tourneys.

Also, take your pills....
Old 12-02-2006, 06:13 PM

stop playing them for a bit if you feel like you are tilting.

time to change things up perhaps?

clearly with this kind of mindset you probably aren't playing your best in the tourneys themselves (much less the smaller ones where you are donking away).

In other news: i need to catch up with you via AIM or PM.
Have a Q for you.
Old 12-03-2006, 05:07 PM

Lacky,
I used to have the exact same problem as you and it sucks, the only advice I can give you is first take a break for a while and then just keep playing and eventually your experience will teach you to stop.
Old 12-03-2006, 05:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
stop playing them for a bit if you feel like you are tilting.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yah, even sit out and step away... go get a nice cold drink of water, pour it over your head or whatever. Shake it off, come back and sit back in. Missing a good hand or two is better than overplaying bad ones.
Old 12-03-2006, 06:24 PM

basicaly I've been trying to just play boring, primium hand poker when I start felling it. i still make some godawful calls, but then again, people make some god awful bluffs, so it's probably a wash.