Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-02-2006, 07:35 PM

Default Re: 600NL, The Little Things, 63s bottom pair

[ QUOTE ]
Your logic baffles me sir

[/ QUOTE ]

If you like I will write explanation for you later (when I dont play 6 tables) but I think you can figure out it by yourself (and with help of Requin post).
Old 12-02-2006, 07:36 PM

I think people make the mistake of playing SC's like they play PP's, they don't take them to war often enough. It is fine taking the safe route and folding what you beleive to be a marginal situation but you are indeed giving up a decent amount of equity by folding this especially to such a pathetic cont-bet. I would personally call and see where it goes from there. Raising is also a decent option because you define the hand immiediatley, unfortunatley you will only get action from better hands, but since you have position you can exploit anyone who has a weak-ace here or a flush draw
Old 12-02-2006, 07:38 PM

Don't patronise I understand 63 has more outs than 99 if we assume we're already beat.

I just don't understand why 1. You're assuming we're always behind here vs a villain donkish enough to lead out for less than half pot here or 2. Why you think trying to bluff said donk off an ace here is +ev
Old 12-02-2006, 07:42 PM

I guess to phrase it another way, if you are hero playing this hand, you'd really rather have 63 than 99 here?
Old 12-02-2006, 07:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Don't patronise I understand 63 has more outs than 99 if we assume we're already beat.

I just don't understand why 1. You're assuming we're always behind here

[/ QUOTE ]
No you dont understand [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
I dont assume we are always behind. Nothing like that.
I only assume we are always behind if we raise AND got called. Which I think you agree with.
Old 12-02-2006, 07:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I guess to phrase it another way, if you are hero playing this hand, you'd really rather have 63 than 99 here?

[/ QUOTE ]Yes
Old 12-02-2006, 07:47 PM

Don't worry so much about being exploitable. I used to be super fixated on that, but not so much now. I'm not saying that calling or raising with bottom pair is wrong, just saying that "anti-exploitation" isn't a good way to go about playing poker unless you're playing against the toughest opponents. It's good to keep in the back of your head so you don't get owned, but don't base your strategy heavily on it.

Just cuz he can get you to fold more than 50% doesn't mean he's playing his hands in the most profitable way. E.g., he might be betting into you with weak aces, letting you fold when behind and bloating the pot when you're ahead. When the situations are reversed and you're in the sb, you'll probably play your hand better and come out ahead. So unless you have a solid read that he's running over you with trash, don't focus on it too much. It's okay to let the info from his bets guide your play.

Folding bottom pair to his bet (depending on how much info it gives you and how tenacious he is) might be playing *your* hand in the most profitable way. Like maybe you get most of your 63s value from stealing the preflop money. If the sb only defended with AA/KK/AK, would you be worried about him blowing you off of 50% of flops? No, you'd be like, ok, he has a monster this time, I'll move on and be happy I made a profitable preflop steal that didn't work out this time.

The immediate "stealing pot odds" aren't all that matter. They matter a lot in limit, not so much in no limit because the pot gets bigger and the thief can lose a lot more on later streets, by continuing his bluff or improving to second best or picking off what he thinks are rebluffs.

Like, preflop, if a maniac is raising the hell out of your blind, do you feel compelled to defend so much that he doesn't show immediate profit by blind stealing? In limit, yes I do. In NL, if he is constantly checking every postflop street when he misses, yes I do. But almost every player will bleed more money in the pots they build, so it's ok to defend less than 1/3 or whatev. And also you might bleed money on later streets if you defend too much. The same thing applies on this flop.

Sorry for rambling. It's probably ok to stick around with bottom pair. I am always fearful of drawing to two pair/trips on ace boards cuz they could have aces up already or make it when I make two pair (it's much harder to read aces up than other two pair hands). But the K is good for you there, since if he is the type to have AK he doesn't have A3 and vice versa, and a set is very unlikely, so your draw is probably solid. But even if he has a draw he is ahead, so I'd puss out and fold unless I knew he bets crappy aces/underpairs and then easily gives up. And yeah, I like 63 better than 99 on that flop.
Old 12-02-2006, 07:48 PM

LOL
Old 12-02-2006, 07:50 PM

You people must play a different game to me. I don't comprehend, I'm gonna leave this thead now :P
Old 12-02-2006, 07:50 PM

I was serious. Jim you're going to call and hope to check it down with 99 here? I'd just be folding it.