Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-06-2006, 03:17 AM

Default An interesting all-in situation

I was playing a SNG at a local cardroom when this situation arose.

The game was down to 4 players. The first player moved all-in UTG. The next to act, I folded. The small blind decided that he wanted to let everyone know that he is folding an ace, so he shows his ace and throws his hand away. The dealer tells him he can't do that, but oh well, the card has already been shown. Now the act is around to the big blind. The blind guy goes to the first player, "Well, if you have an ace, you are dead." And he decides to call with his King high and wins the pot. We were all convinced that if the small blind hadn't shown his ace, he wouldn't have called with his King high.

The guy who lost the pot obviously wasn't happy but didn't call the floor manager or anything.

Have you seen a situation like this before? I'm just wondering if there's a standard ruling for a situation like this.
Old 02-06-2006, 04:02 AM

Default Re: An interesting all-in situation

I'm confused. How does King high suddenly beat Ace high, even if first player does have Ace high?
Old 02-06-2006, 04:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm confused. How does King high suddenly beat Ace high, even if first player does have Ace high?

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm assuming that preflop the small blind exposed an ace, leading the BB to call with his king-whatever because an ace was gone

they ran the board and he won
Old 02-06-2006, 05:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm assuming that preflop the small blind exposed an ace, leading the BB to call with his king-whatever because an ace was gone

they ran the board and he won

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, sorry I didn't make that clear. Basically, the big blind's reasoning for calling with his king was that one ace was already out.

As donkish as his reasoning was, the exposed ace gave the guy the balls to call. Or maybe he figured that since one ace was already out the other guy probably wouldn't have an ace. But either way, the point is that the big blind who called the all-in bet acted on the information that he otherwise wouldn't have gained if the small blind wasn't dumb enough to show his card in the middle of a hand.
Old 02-06-2006, 05:46 AM

I'm with the first guy and still don't get it. Regardless of if an A was exposed, the guy got called by a worse hand. It's a good situation for him. Who cares if one of his "outs" was exposed, he's in the lead.
Old 02-06-2006, 05:52 AM

SB gets a warning. Further exposing of cards may result in a penalty.
Old 02-06-2006, 06:09 AM

the guy that flashed the ace folded. we don't know what the utg player had. hope that helps.
Old 02-06-2006, 06:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
the guy that flashed the ace folded. we don't know what the utg player had. hope that helps.

[/ QUOTE ]
Ah, gotcha. Awesome reasoning by the big blind.
Old 02-06-2006, 06:14 AM

This would be a 10-minute penalty at the TAJ with no warning, I've seen them enforce that rule even when the only person who saw the cards was all-in, which was a mistake IMO.