Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Two Plus Two > Special Sklansky Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-02-2006, 02:12 AM

Default Re: New Fight Question

[ QUOTE ]
How old are you guys?

I only ask because, while i'm only in my late 20's, I still remember Iron Mike T. when he was in his early 20's. Holy God.

That dood would knock these fools out one by one and then eat their children.

[/ QUOTE ]

Tyson (all boxers) is at ah uge disadvantage. His training is very specific, he practices hitting people who stand upright, and would have almost Zero Chance if the fight gets to the mat agaisnt the top UFC guy of equal size. That leaves him with the option of doing enough damage in his first two -three blows to end the fight, only the UFC guy won't be standing in front of him in a boxing stances. All the instincts are different.
Old 12-02-2006, 02:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
this is the #1 fighter in the world
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=saX844eJnoc

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe I was more open minded about it when it was being discussed earlier, but THIS is the best fighter in the world?!?

What does 'shoot fighting' mean? Is that where you lunge for the legs and immediately try to take the opponent down?

I ask because as soon as he launched in with one of these wild flailing punch attacks, even a GOOD boxer would not only end the fight but probably his career.

I mean, I understand how they are successful at UFC, and how the strict kung fu/taekwondo guys fall short in preventing their takedown/submission/ground attacks, but Iron Mike in his prime would absolutely murder this dood in a matter of seconds.

I know i'm missing something. What am I missing?
Old 12-02-2006, 02:19 AM

Default Re: One parameter no one thinks about...why boxer stands best chance.

[ QUOTE ]
"in a fight to the death with no gloves inside an enclosure, rate the chances of these five"

nowhere does it says it is not a battle royale. In fact, if anything it seems like it is implied as a battle royale.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
I wasn't talking about multiple opponents at once

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 12-02-2006, 02:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...5221808AAd2i9Z

this link basicaly says the same thing i said. that is that seals pretty much train mma, but they do it very limited and would prefer to just shoot you. now the ufc guy trains it all day every day.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your link does not say that. It is about a single MMA discipline that was taught as part of BUDS, but was cancelled as a military instruction program in the late 1990s.

[/ QUOTE ]

"All of them are trained in the third phase of BUD/S training hand to hand combat but there is no particular form of martial art that is taught. Assuming that "almost all" forms of martial arts is based on the same idea which is to self protect ones own body physically and mentally, whether it be karate, kung-fu, tae kwon do, jujitsu, your ninjutsu, yoga/pelates haha, k1 kick boxing techiniques, or ultimate whoop/kick your *** without giving a **** what form of martial arts your using the US military does not have a preference."

my reading comprehention isn't top notch but i think it says that.
Old 12-02-2006, 02:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe I was more open minded about it when it was being discussed earlier, but THIS is the best fighter in the world?!?

What does 'shoot fighting' mean? Is that where you lunge for the legs and immediately try to take the opponent down?

I ask because as soon as he launched in with one of these wild flailing punch attacks, even a GOOD boxer would not only end the fight but probably his career.

I mean, I understand how they are successful at UFC, and how the strict kung fu/taekwondo guys fall short in preventing their takedown/submission/ground attacks, but Iron Mike in his prime would absolutely murder this dood in a matter of seconds.

[/ QUOTE ]

Iron mike would destroy him in a boxing match. But Fedor trained in boxing a very good grappler. It's hard to box from the clinch and even harder to box from your back. Boxing is one dimensional, MMA is three.
Old 12-02-2006, 02:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
One thing that puzzles me. If the heavyweight MMA guy is so good why doesn't he just specialize in boxing for a while and challenge for the World Heavyweight Championship where he can make Tens if not Hundreds of Millions of Dollars instead of the paltry purses he fights for now?

PairTheBoard

[/ QUOTE ]

They are so good at their craft, fighting. No one is making the claim that they are world class boxers.
Old 12-02-2006, 02:30 AM

sorry. i dont have time to read every post especially if i read it in a flat format. Apparently judging from your profile you do.
Old 12-02-2006, 02:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
How old are you guys?

I only ask because, while i'm only in my late 20's, I still remember Iron Mike T. when he was in his early 20's. Holy God.

That dood would knock these fools out one by one and then eat their children.

[/ QUOTE ]

Tyson (all boxers) is at ah uge disadvantage. His training is very specific, he practices hitting people who stand upright, and would have almost Zero Chance if the fight gets to the mat agaisnt the top UFC guy of equal size. That leaves him with the option of doing enough damage in his first two -three blows to end the fight, only the UFC guy won't be standing in front of him in a boxing stances. All the instincts are different.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, but read my above post, and watch the Fedor highlight clip and how he launches his attacks. I'd say 2 or 3 blows is 1 or 2 more than needed.

I have to respect what people say how about the various skills of fighters, as it's something I know little about, but few seem to realize how deadly a good, strong boxer's punch is.

Not to get too long-winded, but the difference in just being able to throw a punch and have it hit exactly where you want it to opposed to being a few centimeters off is monumental. One of the many scientific things that give it the name 'sweet science'.

These 2 or 3 blows we talk about, i'd liken to giving a skilled marksman a gun in the ring. I'm not sure how much i'm exaggerating here.

The problem is the guys that know about boxing don't know [censored] about MMA (me) and vice versa, same with SEAL training and another skill set. Still fun to argue/discuss, I guess.
Old 12-02-2006, 02:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
sorry. i dont have time to read every post especially if i read it in a flat format. Apparently judging from your profile you do.

[/ QUOTE ]

Easy now big fella or I might have to eat your children.
Old 12-02-2006, 02:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Iron mike would destroy him in a boxing match. But Fedor trained in boxing a very good grappler. It's hard to box from the clinch and even harder to box from your back. Boxing is one dimensional, MMA is three.

[/ QUOTE ]

What i'm saying/asking is that aren't MMA guys really just one dimensional as well when it comes down to it? Ground/submission/grappling attacks? That is all the same thing, right?

I guess the assumption that is the crux of the debate is how easy is it for the grappler to get the other guy on the ground? I've watched UFC fights and have seen how easy it is in certain cases, but many of these are against other grapplers who don't mind taking it to the ground?

We have to discount the early UFC debacles with half-ass boxers and kung fu doods getting annihilated.