Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Two Plus Two > Special Sklansky Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-01-2006, 09:59 PM

Default Re: Personal Question From Jared L

Well, wasn't his father a math professor at Columbia? It's not a "top five" school, but it's a pretty good one. If he thinks he's significantly smarter and/or motivated/hard working than his father, I suppose it's not too outrageous to make the claim that he could be a math professor at a "top five" school.

I still think anybody who would make such a claim underestimates just how hard this is to do though.
Old 12-01-2006, 11:02 PM

My father was offerred a job at Harvard. I have two years of college.
Old 12-01-2006, 11:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My father was offerred a job at Harvard..

[/ QUOTE ]

was it similar to will's job at MIT in good will hunting? i have to assume so since you did not specify.
Old 12-02-2006, 01:20 AM

I really can't say one way or the other on a lot of that stuff.

But the idea that you EASILY could have been a better baseball manager than ANYONE who had ever managed just seems very incorrect to me.

It's not all about in-game decisions imo.
The psychology of 'managing' the players and the different personalities and knowing how to deal with one problem or another is vitally important as well I believe.

Assuming you haven't had much experience (possibly none??) in a professional-baseball locker-room or dugout I just don't see how you can make such a statement.
Old 12-04-2006, 03:22 PM

Default I\'ll Take That Bet!

"If I won a Nobel Prize, it would almost certainly be in Economics. Even now I would take 25,000 to one that I'll get one and bet up to $1000."

Since nobody else has seriously responded, I'll lay the odds against. Let me know if you're serious.
Old 12-04-2006, 03:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Up until the last few years I could easily have been a better baseball manager than anyone who had ever managed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow.

[/ QUOTE ]

What does DS mean? That he knows when to sacrifice bunt (never)? There's a lot more to being a baseball manager than knowing what plays to run.

Since the original question asked how well he could manage if he studied for a year, I'd say he would do terribly. Why? Because if he came in with the arrogance he showed in the OP, his players will hate him.

Obviously the question is different if we have DS taking an interest in baseball at age 14. But if he had an interest at age 14, you have to wonder how influenced he would be by "conventional thinking." IOW, he may know that sacrifice bunts are bad. But in coming up in the minors, EVERYONE would have said he was wrong. He may not have been able to even get a job with his "new fangled" theories of baseball.
Old 12-04-2006, 03:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If I won a Nobel Prize, it would almost certainly be in Economics. Even now I would take 25,000 to one that I'll get one and bet up to $1000. Back then it was 100-1.

[/ QUOTE ]

DS-

Are you saying that you would bet that you *are* going to win a Nobel Prize, implying that you've already done something to earn it, or are you saying that you would be capable of getting one should anyone take the bet?
Old 12-04-2006, 06:27 PM

"Look. Bottom line is that when I was 14 I was in the top 100 or so fourteen year olds in the US in math, science, and logic. From that point on I went a little crazy but that craziness, and going away from the academic path hurt in some ways but helped in others. Because I mingled more than typical prodigies with average folks.

In spite of my burnout though the typical run of the mill Harvard math major would have been no match for me if I dusted off my cobwebs just a little."

DS- I don't doubt your claims. But I would just say that there are ALOT of people out there who were mathematical geniuses as kids/teens who don't do serious academic math work now.
Life is not about how smart you were as a kid, but what you accomplish as an adult.
Old 12-04-2006, 09:18 PM

Bob- Clean out your PM box so I can reply to you.

Sklansky- You would fail miserably at baseball. I like your enthusiasm though.
Old 12-04-2006, 10:50 PM

uuuuuuhhhhh what were we talking about?