Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-01-2006, 08:56 PM

Default Re: Razz hand looking for comments

I think there are other reasons to raise than the three you list. In any case, here, even if the other guy shows you 123 and everyone else calls, you gain significantly by jamming third street. You will be putting in one-sixth of the money, and you have a hand that expects to win significantly more than one-sixth of the time. You give up too much by failing to jam here. This is tough to prove, but I don't think that any potential benefits that might arise on later streets that come from keeping the pot smaller will make up for the value that you're leaving on the table on third street. Even if everyone has a real hand, your edge is significant. Given the stakes and the number of callers, including some mope with an Eight in the door, I'm guessing that your edge is reasonably huge. You give up too much by not exploiting it.

And if you do manage to knock one of these guys out, that's great too. Your equity will have gone up and there's a little dead money to fight over. Any combination of folds and calls you get on third street works to your benefit.

You play limit hold'em? Frequently, it is correct to jam the flop in a multi-way pot with a flush draw, even if you "know" it is not the "best" hand. Your flush will come in about 1/3 of the time, and it will almost always be good when it comes in. Your raises on the flop make money even though you will lose the majority of the time.