Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-01-2006, 08:34 PM

Default Another barrel or give up??

** Dealing Down Cards **
Dealt to Fudgneut: [Kh, 9h]
Player 1: Fold
Fudgneut: Raise ($10)
Player 3: Fold
Player 4: Fold
Player 5: Fold
Player 0: Raise ($10)
Fudgneut: Call ($5)

** Dealing Flop **
Community cards: [Qh, As, 7h]
Player 0: Bet ($5)
Fudgneut: Call ($5)

** Dealing Turn **
Community cards: [8d]
Player 0: Bet ($10)
Fudgneut: Raise ($20)
Player 0: Call ($10)

** Dealing River **
Community cards: [5c]
Player 0: Check ($0)
????
Old 12-01-2006, 08:44 PM

Default Re: Another barrel or give up??

I would give up here...

But since you haven´t any reads it´s really hard to say... against 95%+ of opponents though this is a check when you look at the flop turn and river action/cards...

I wouldn´t have raised turn either...
Old 12-01-2006, 08:57 PM

turn = spew. c/c turn c/f river when you don't suckout.
Old 12-01-2006, 09:25 PM

I would raise either flop or turn.

I give up on the river.
Old 12-01-2006, 10:15 PM

If youre goal is to win this pot UI, IMO your best chance to accomplish this objective on this particular board is to raise the flop. Theres no need to wait til the turn here, there are plenty of hands on the flop you can credibly represent. Now if the flop had come out 743 with two hearts, and you felt inclined to make a play, now you may be better off smooth calling the flop with the intention of raising the turn since a flop raise lacks credibility on this board in the eyes of most of your opponents.

Another problem with taking your line on the AQx board is the reality that your opponents hand range once he bets the flop and the turn is going to be dramatically different from his hand range when he simply continue bets the flop. In the former scenario the villains hand will be much stronger and more likely to withstand pressure or even play back at applied pressure. In the latter scenario when he continue bets the flop, he will be betting his whole range which means he is more likely to have a hand like JJ, that cant handle much pressure. So raising the flop will usually be the best way to take advantage of this dynamic.

One caveat I should mention. I have not taken into account how previous hands have been played and your current image in the eyes of the villain assuming hes paying attention. I do believe that raising the flop in your hand is the best play in a vacuum, but poker isnt played in a vacuum, so theres always other variables to consider.
Old 12-02-2006, 01:25 AM

This depends somewhat on reads, but I like the idea of raising the flop here. The point is that the board is not very drawy at all. In fact, you have the only draw and it's not a particularly likely one for you to have as the Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] is accounted for and you have a pair plus a draw if you have the A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].

Raising an AQ7 flop indicates a pretty strong hand, and threatens to put more bets in later. Villain should really be folding his pocket pairs JJ and below (except 77 of course).

If you are called on the flop, most likely you are badly behind, so take your free card on the turn if you get it and fold the river unimproved. If you are 3bet on the flop, call and raise if you hit your flush, otherwise fold the river if you don't. A flop 3bet is much more harmless as it costs less than a turn 3bet does and your equity is much better.
Old 12-02-2006, 03:06 PM

I checked and he showed KJ and scooped with king high. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

I appreciate the comments and I see how a flop raise might be better here.