Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-05-2006, 02:51 PM

Default Re: Just finished reading Cards by Maxwell.

The personal war stops here guys. You're more than welcome debate the topic of the thread and realted matters. After all, that what this site is for. However, the personal shots are doing nothing to benefit either of your or anyone else. I'll place no blame on anyone. Just stick to poker and related material. Thanks.
Old 02-06-2006, 12:49 AM

This is a tightly run ship.

Ako, I for one, commend your enthusiasm, and your voicing an opinion that is vulnerable to ridicule. And I do think the plays are worth investigating. I can't comment because I dont believe myself to be enough of an expert.

For what it's worth, I loved "Cards." I am only a meteorologist on a ship, not a professional poker player, but I found "Jim"'s downfall to be not his intelligence, but his inability to control his emotions. It is interesting to me how many different opinions people have about this book. I found it to be a straightforward, humoristic, delightful story. I don't know or really care wether the author aimed to do this or that with the character, although I would like to read an interview of him. As a casual player, I loved being told about this unusual poker world. Like you I found myself on a sort of emotional high while reading it. The writing style has a candid feel that holds you tightly.

I've given this book to my poker friends on the ship, and the general opinion is positive.
Old 02-06-2006, 07:17 PM

this book rocks, thats my opinion. this is a book about a guy who isnt afraid to fire another shell when he thinks you are weak, regardless of what he has. this book has heart, its genuine and its completely strange and only someone who has played and felt the same way can truly relate to a story like this. alot of people nowadays believe so strongly that they are so good, that they are above making any mistakes in their play ever, that the very mention of bad tilty play angers and disgusts them because they can not and will not ever play badly, ever. well good for you all, but i'll stick to the notion that i am human and will continue to make bad plays and try to learn from them because thats how you get better and gain experience.