Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-01-2006, 09:29 AM

Default Re: Illusionist Derren Brown \"converts\" atheists

Hi Magic Man,

I agree that this clip isn't the best of Derren Brown (two of my personal favorites are voodoo-doll and supermarket). The reason I linked to just this one about "feeling
god", was that I found the topic well suited to all the discussions about religion that takes place on this board. Many believers hold inexplicable personal experiences as an important reason for their beliefs. When one witness how performers like Brown is able to manipulate his audience - that these sort of feelings can be induced on command - it's very telling about how susceptible we can be, as you mention. Strange experiences that numerous human minds have produced throughout history, should be seen in light of the fact that the human brain and mind sure is a fascinating thing that we do not understand all that well - yet.

I'm certainly no magician. My modest contribution on the field is limited to performances for nearest family and friends as a child, with a über-simplistic magic kit [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]. So I am in no position to vouch for the validity of what Brown does, not to mention HOW he does it [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

But I'm absolutely sold, and think it's incredibly fun and mind-blowing! I'll say as madnak: He's my f'ing hero [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Tolbiny:

Derren Brown has a website. It's kinda weird (image is important, I guess...). Found a link there to Channel4, where he talks a bit about techniques used.
Old 12-01-2006, 10:32 AM

Default Re: Illusionist Derren Brown \"converts\" atheists

[ QUOTE ]
(two of my personal favorites are voodoo-doll and supermarket).

[/ QUOTE ]

Supermarket was cool, but I just can't believe Voodoo doll. Obviously the ring aspect of it is just a magic trick, but I don't see how the rest of it could possibly have been real, unless he picked the most gullible person he could find. It seems more likely that he had an actress act out the "voodoo" aspect of it, and then she was genuinely surprised by the ring "magic trick," which makes the viewer see the whole thing as more credible. This is a similar tactic to David Blaine, who uses camera tricks and editing tricks mixed in with genuine audience reactions. When you start to believe part of it, you mistakenly accept the whole thing. On the other hand, I will not dismiss the fact that Derren Brown could be a psychological genius. It would be awesome if he were.

~MagicMan