Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-06-2006, 12:11 AM

Default Re: Are these \"Card Player\" articles getting more elmentary?

On my ship, Card Player magazines float around. I follow the magazine loosely. I think the magazine is becoming worse. I haven't given it too much thought, but I'd say the magazine is losing direction. It used to be a straightforward poker magazine, but in the past year or so it seems that the writers and publishers are trying too hard to please the audience, instead of just continuing to write solid articles. It seems to have lost focus.
Old 02-06-2006, 08:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It used to be a straightforward poker magazine, but in the past year or so it seems that the writers and publishers are trying too hard to please the audience, instead of just continuing to write solid articles. It seems to have lost focus.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. I no longer even look forward to getting my issue in the mail, and I'm considering not even renewing. Of course, I paid a LOT more for my subscription 2 1/2 years ago, but at least it had quality content. And what's with the photo gallery? Waste of trees if you ask me. I want quality, not quantity.

Anyway, like one other poster mentioned, there are still a few quality articles, but the rest just seems to fill space. I'll be reading the mag online for free from now on.
Old 02-06-2006, 01:57 PM

Sklansky and Malmuth used to write for CardPlayer.

Now they don't.

That should tell you all you need to know about whether the articles actually were better a few years ago or not.
Old 02-09-2006, 01:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Cardplayer has adapted to the environment well. People who know a lot will get less from the magazine these days as they have to "dummy" up to reach the broader audience they now attract.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 02-10-2006, 02:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Q: Is the probability of getting pokcet 2's the same as getting pocket aces?
A: Yes, it's the same thing. A pair is a pair - the odds are the same. (thank god we had an expert like Deeb around to answer this complicated question for us).

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, my friends and I have had heated debates about this. Now that Deeb has finally settled the age-old question, I feel like I can move on to even deeper poker subjects. Next topic to tackle, are you more likely to hit a flush if you are chasing hearts or spades. I'm pretty sure its hearts, but I would like a pro to confirm this.
Old 02-10-2006, 03:21 AM

I'm not a top pro or anything...but I can confirm that the answer is, "It depends."

Do you see why?