Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > High Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-30-2006, 02:25 AM

Default Re: Full Tilt 2/4 bluffing......

I think if you fire on the turn, you have to fire on the river because TJ and QJ are calling on the turn.

so i either like a check fold on the turn, or fire on both streets.
Old 11-30-2006, 07:34 AM

"check fold the turn would be very weak. he could have hit a K or J"

Nice.

-Michael
Old 11-30-2006, 08:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
4 handed Full Tilt 200/400
My main opponent in this hand keeps jumping in and out of the game, seems to be losing a little. I've seen him in many high limit games on this site but never really played with him. I'm going to assume he's fairly good because I haven't seen anything really bad thusfar.

He raises UTG and a decent playing SB calls. I have 88 in the BB and decide to 3 bet this time although that's not standard, I'd say 35% of the time I 3 bet it here. They both call.

Flop: Ks Js 5c SB checks I bet UTG calls SB folds. Turn Ah and I bet again and he calls again. River is an offsuit 7 and I fire one last shell. Thoughts? What do we think he has? Should I be bluffing vs. his range here?

[/ QUOTE ]

What prompted you to donk the flop and then follow on the turn?

I was on super, 15 beerish type tilt (ive tilted about 3 or 4 times in my life) once last year and playin a limit nearly ten times my norm. I had 88, 3barreled on a similar board, and the guy thought for awhile and folded. So I'm pretty sure it's a solid play [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Afterward, though, I remember thinking that it was one of he worst plays i ever made in my life [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] (b/c i believed at the time he was folding close to 0%), and was beyond shocked that he folded!
Old 11-30-2006, 08:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
My main opponent in this hand keeps jumping in and out of the game, seems to be losing a little. I've seen him in many high limit games on this site but never really played with him. I'm going to assume he's fairly good because I haven't seen anything really bad thusfar.

He raises UTG and a decent playing SB calls. I have 88 in the BB and decide to 3 bet this time although that's not standard, I'd say 35% of the time I 3 bet it here. They both call.

Flop: Ks Js 5c SB checks I bet UTG calls SB folds. Turn Ah and I bet again and he calls again. River is an offsuit 7 and I fire one last shell. Thoughts? What do we think he has? Should I be bluffing vs. his range here?

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, i agree that a bet is fine, given the drawy nature of the board. i am more curious about the flop donk and turn bet.
Old 11-30-2006, 08:09 AM

"That said, if he knows you 3bet this 35% of the time, the bluff is a loser."

Could you please elaborate on this?
Old 11-30-2006, 10:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, i agree that a bet is fine, given the drawy nature of the board. i am more curious about the flop donk and turn bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

what are you talking about? if you want to see a donk go grab a mirror.
Old 11-30-2006, 11:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
"That said, if he knows you 3bet this 35% of the time, the bluff is a loser."

Could you please elaborate on this?

[/ QUOTE ]

assuming villain knows ian will 3bet here with underpairs 1/3 of the time, and the pot is laying him about 8.5/1 on the river, it's an easy river call, no? (I am assuming villain has something marginal like 3rd pair here) i suppose the likelihood that ian holds something like 88 decreases when he fires both the turn and river, but the turn is a perfect scare card for him to bet, and imo once he fires the turn he has to fire the river. i guess if i was villain, i sure would have a tough time calling the river, and i typically never fold.
Old 12-01-2006, 04:13 AM

So yeah really this thread was stemmed a little from frustration because when he called the turn I said he has AT/AQ or QJ/JT and I expect QJ/JT to fold so I bet the river. He called pretty quickly w/ JT. I should be bluffing here frequently if I feel like he's got that hand enough correct? Are people really THAT showdown happy?

BTW, I agree with all who said check-fold turn. For some reason I saw the Ace come off and said well that's a good card to bluff.
Old 12-01-2006, 05:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I should be bluffing here frequently if I feel like he's got that hand enough correct? Are people really THAT showdown happy?

[/ QUOTE ]

The only problem with your logic to me is that the answer to your question is yes. I would just make some notes, being sure to emphasize that villain will usually payoff the river weak after a turn call. Some people aren't worth firing at on the river when you have a hand that can win at showdown. I think in this case, it was fine. Next time against this opponent, it's a spew.