Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Probability
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2006, 09:41 AM

Default Calculating pot odds- 2 cards to come (the math)

Could someone please explain the equation to calculate break even pot odds when there are two cards to come.

For example:
9 outs:

With 1 card to come: 46 unseen cards. chance of hitting is 37/9 or 4.1/1 against.

I realise you can't just double this figure for 2 cards to come. What I want is the equation (with very basic explanation) for calculating the odds with 2 cards to come.

Many thanks,

Ian
Old 11-29-2006, 11:16 AM

Default Re: Calculating pot odds- 2 cards to come (the math)

What you're talking about is effective odds, not podd odds. Effective odds are the odds you'll hit you're hand, pot odds compare the size of the pot to the size of the bet you have to put in to show you the return you'll get on your money.

Anyway the shortcut in hold em to calculate the chances of hitting your hand on the next street is to count your outs and multiply them by 2. The product is the percentage of times you'll make your hand. If, on the flop, you want to see how many times you'll hit by the river just multiply your outs by 4. The numbers aren't perfect, but they definately do the trick.
Old 11-29-2006, 11:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What you're talking about is effective odds, not podd odds. Effective odds are the odds you'll hit you're hand, pot odds compare the size of the pot to the size of the bet you have to put in to show you the return you'll get on your money.

Anyway the shortcut in hold em to calculate the chances of hitting your hand on the next street is to count your outs and multiply them by 2. The product is the percentage of times you'll make your hand. If, on the flop, you want to see how many times you'll hit by the river just multiply your outs by 4. The numbers aren't perfect, but they definately do the trick.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, I know about the "2 & 4" trick for working out the percentages quickly. What I am after is the actual equation / formula to work out the probability of hitting one of your outs, with 2 cards to come.

I thought it was simply:

x=(a/(47-a)) + (a/(46-a))

Where x=probability of hitting & a= no. of outs.

But I know this formular is incorrect. Looking for the "correct" formular and simple explanation of how it is derived.

Many thanks,
Ian
Old 11-29-2006, 11:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Could someone please explain the equation to calculate break even pot odds when there are two cards to come.

For example:
9 outs:

With 1 card to come: 46 unseen cards. chance of hitting is 37/9 or 4.1/1 against.

I realise you can't just double this figure for 2 cards to come. What I want is the equation (with very basic explanation) for calculating the odds with 2 cards to come.

Many thanks,

Ian

[/ QUOTE ]

3 methods
Old 11-29-2006, 11:55 AM

3 methods

[/ QUOTE ]

Lovely. Exactly what I was after.

Many, many thanks.

Ian
Old 11-30-2006, 09:43 PM

Quick calculation (useful when you are in the hand)

Each out at each street produces 2%. Say on the flop, you have X outs. The chance to hit your cards to the river is X*2*2%.

Flush draw 9 outs on the flop with two cards to come - 9*2*2%=~36%. You have about 36% to hit the flush.