Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-30-2006, 02:27 PM

Default How much impact does the NY media have on NY teams?

This is something I've thought about before but has resurfaced with the unravelling of the Giants. Using the Giants as an example, even before the Tennessee game you would have thought the season was over. Even though they played Chicago close (very shorthanded on defense, which is what made them lose it late) and lost to Jax (who needed the win far more and was at home), it was like they were on the verge of playoff elimination, not in first place. Now with the loss to Tenn, the [censored] has really hit the fan (compare to Dallas loss to Washington, which wasn't a huge story for that long).

Anyway, this was a long way to get to my general question: Do NY teams have to be better than other teams to achieve the same amount of success? Would a 85 win Yankee team moved to Seattle win 90 games there? Or does the NY media have no effect on the performance of the local team?

IMO, it just seems the scrutiny and constant presence would have to have some sort of negative impact on their peformance. Also, I think it might have more of an impact on football teams rather than baseball as football is more of a 'team' sport.
Old 11-30-2006, 03:22 PM

Default Re: How much impact does the NY media have on NY teams?

Fine! I guess nobody else cares [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 11-30-2006, 04:55 PM

"Do NY teams have to be better than other teams to achieve the same amount of success? Would a 85 win Yankee team moved to Seattle win 90 games there? Or does the NY media have no effect on the performance of the local team? "

I think in general people overestimate how these sorts of things impact teams. Most players are trying their hardest the vast majority of the time and I don't think they're nearly so easily distractable as people in the media seem to think.

I do think the media makes it harder to coach (mostly in terms of job security) in New York, simply because no issue exists at a local level. Anything is instantly a national story (for instance, there's some minor bickering going on right now with the Sonic's bench players, and not a lick of it has touched mainstream national media, if that was the case with the Knicks, you'd bet it would be on PTI, ATH and Sportscenter).
Old 11-30-2006, 05:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
IMO, it just seems the scrutiny and constant presence would have to have some sort of negative impact on their peformance.

[/ QUOTE ]

it's different in NYC than in Kansas City, no doubt. Some players like it better, some worse.
Old 11-30-2006, 05:18 PM

dids is right.
Old 11-30-2006, 05:34 PM

Little to no impact.