Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2006, 04:16 PM

Default 2-3 WPEX - Calling station

WPEX 2-4

Hero MP3 (Tag image)K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Villain (calling station)

All fold to Hero who raises $4, 2 folds, Villain calls, everybody else folds.

Flop

6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Hero Bets $2, Villain Calls

Turn

6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]10 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Hero ?????

Do I semi bluff here or not?

If i was up against an unknown opponent what would be the best play here?

This is my least favourite situation to be in. Always unsure.

I figure against a calling station, check fold, but against an unknown bet on the turn. Your thoughts and reasoning are appreciated.
Old 11-29-2006, 05:07 PM

Default Re: 2-3 WPEX - Calling station

I would check/fold. Calling station could still pick up a hand and if he doesn't have anything he is unlikely to bluff. You might win if you pair your next card but I only want to see it if it's free.
Old 11-30-2006, 06:35 AM

what about against an unknown, if the pot is big enough say 5BB is it worth semi bluffing with a gutshot
Old 11-30-2006, 07:22 AM

I like betting the turn less because we picked up a draw.

So many people (especially on wpex) wait for the turn to show their strength. If the turn here was a 2 then if we were to bet (and I'm not saying I always would - it rather read dependant for me) and we were raised we were probably up against an ace and can just fold without worry. However once we pick up the gutshot things chance in that we would still have fold if we are checkraised because we do not have proper odds to continue but we no longer win when a J comes on the river.

Of course the downside to this is that if villian has nothing and wasn't playing on checkraising then he will often bluff the river and we fold. Sometimes though we hit a K or Q on the river and of course call if villian bets and pick up an extra big bet that way.

Anyhow, moral of the story is to semi-bluff less if you would have to fold to a raise unless villian is very passive.
Old 11-30-2006, 09:18 AM

I like checking here. If your opponent is a calling station he might check it back to you. If you bet and get raised you would have to pay twice the amount to catch your draw. Question is, if he bets are you calling? The pot is so small you can easily let this go.
Old 11-30-2006, 09:21 AM

5BB isn't big enough to outdraw people unless you know that the player your playing against likes to bluff with air. KQ against a player who will continue to bet with nothing will probably win a % of the time.