Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2006, 09:53 AM

Default Re: Favorite Poker Room in Vegas?

This post has come just in time for me. I am planning on going to a convention in Vegas in April. I think it is the 2nd largest convention they have, so there should be plenty of drunk gamboolers. I play 3/6, 4/8, might be able to play 6/12. I'd like to stay where I play for various reasons.

MGM sounds perfect for me, poker-wise. But I'd rather stay more center strip and I get no vibe about the hotel itself.

Ballys sounds good, I played there in September and it is good for me poker-wise.

I can get a decent deal at Bellagio, but the poker sounds too good for me. Am I wrong?

Wynn and Venetian would be great, but cannot afford it. Too bad.
Old 11-29-2006, 01:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You have your tourists, you have the decent players who think they're good but aren't IMO (angry about suckouts, don't bet rivers with top pair, buyins of 25 blinds on a 4/8 table,

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't read anything into that. It doesn't much matter with limit. I always buy in short in limit because it doesn't clutter the table as much. If I end up winning a lot, I'll put up with the inconvenience. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-29-2006, 01:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I can get a decent deal at Bellagio, but the poker sounds too good for me. Am I wrong?

[/ QUOTE ]

?? Wynn and Venetian are usually cheaper than Bellagio, especially with the poker rate.
Old 11-29-2006, 03:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

?? Wynn and Venetian are usually cheaper than Bellagio, especially with the poker rate.

[/ QUOTE ]

A person showing up for a convention probably isn't getting the poker rate.

And I think you're wrong about Bellagio poker being "too good". Their 4/8 donks are just as donky as the 3/6 and 4/8 donks anywhere else. And their 2/5 donks are just as donky (and maybe more so) than the 2/5 donks at Wynn/Venetian/MGM/Caesars/Mirage.

Wynn has a better location for walking to the convention center. Bellagio would be a hike (but doable...I walked to/from Comdex about 20 times from Tropicana back in the day--can't recommend it, though, and I learned to aim for Stardust instead). During major conventions, getting to/from the CC is a pain. Taxis are in short supply, and if the convention has buses, they're often full and slow. Staying somewhere you can just say "screw it" and start walking when you see a line of 500 people waiting for your bus route is good.
Old 11-29-2006, 07:09 PM

NL TOURNEYS - Ceasars and Venetian for under $200 with good structure
MID LIMIT HE - Wynn and Bellagio for guaranteed 8/16+ cash games
NL - Haven't played much but from what I saw out there last time 1/2 NL is everywhere and taking over
Old 11-29-2006, 08:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This post has come just in time for me. I am planning on going to a convention in Vegas in April. I think it is the 2nd largest convention they have, so there should be plenty of drunk gamboolers. I play 3/6, 4/8, might be able to play 6/12. I'd like to stay where I play for various reasons.

MGM sounds perfect for me, poker-wise. But I'd rather stay more center strip and I get no vibe about the hotel itself.

Ballys sounds good, I played there in September and it is good for me poker-wise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't forget about the monorail. You can get on it at MGM and get off at the convention center. It's like $5 if you do it per trip, less if you buy multi-trip tickets. Walking the strip is a hssle, especially if there's a big convention in town. Personally, I like staying at the MGM and find that I don't need to leave the property for much, the poker is good, the nightlife and dining are good, etc. If you want/need to leave, the monorail is great, especially if going to the convention center.
Old 11-29-2006, 08:55 PM

You can usually rent a car for about $20/day in Vegas. Of course if you like to drink while you're playing this can be a problem.
Old 11-29-2006, 11:02 PM

OK, few things you need to know...

1) Hottest cocktail waitresses = Red Rock. They have something for everyone, no matter what you like. This nice as most other places you can tell what whoever was in charge of hiring liked. If that's not your thing then FU. Also, they have a decent, cheap mall-style food court plus good real food places. Downside, ass end of nowhere save for hanging out with gisb0rne and Irieguy.

2) Orleans = best low-limit game selection. 1/2NL, 2/4 and 4/8 limit AND 4/8 O8. Occasional SNGs I always win. Decent structure nightly tournaments... Ship it.

3) Gold Coast = fastest cocktail service. Downside = everything else.

4) Caesars is good overall. Most other places are also good. It's kinda hard to miss.

5) Luxor = Rock Bottom.
Old 11-29-2006, 11:28 PM

My take on the ones I've been to:

1. Bellagio: Good room but if you don't play high you may want to avoid it on weekends as wait times can be ridiculous and the players are comparatively better than in the other rooms. Dealers and drink service are fantastic and play is still bad in smaller games (just not as bad as elsewhere)

Wynn: My favorite. Good dealers, lots of horrible plaers with tons of money, hot cocktail waitresses, and usually manageable wait lists.

Palms: The NL games here are surprisingly good. Play is absolutely nuts. Not uncommon to get 5 to the flop for a 6x bb raise. Drink service/dealers kind of suck, but there is plenty of eye candy floating around. If you like clubbing, this is a good place to do it before or after playing.

Flamingo: Awful room with equally awful players.

Caesars: Well-run room. For me, its missing something that Wynn and Bellagio have, but I can't put my finger on what it is.

Hope this is helpful.
Old 11-30-2006, 04:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
No not what I'm saying. Just don't like overly loose action that can break me in a heartbeat with hands like that. But this is for another forum I'm sure.

[/ QUOTE ]

Vegas = tourists = that's what you're gonna get.