Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-28-2006, 07:35 PM

Default 1/2 Live murdered by noob bad call and bad laydown?

comments on both hands are welcome. Both hands are with the same guy.

The game is 1/2 NL 9 handed

This guy will limp/call with anything. I caught him limping on the button with QQ after several limpers. I have little to no respect for his game.

hand 1

Hero has $215
Villian has 150

Hero is dealth A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
1 limp, 1 fold Hero raises to $15, Villian calls in SB, limper calls.

Flop A 6 4 rainbow (pot = $50)
Villian bet $15, limper folds, Hero raises to $50, villian raises to $90

Now I go into the tank thinking whether or not he flopped a set or 2 pair on me. It only costs $85 more to put him all-in. So I take my time and then question him a little bit.

"Got a big hand huh?" -hero
"I always have a big hand" -villian (full of confidence)

After thinking for a while I put him all-in. he drags the pot with a set of sixes.

About an hour later i have $80 and drag a big pot with pocket aces against villian in a multi-way pot. The very next hand I get these Kings!

Hero 225
Villian 195

Hero is dealt K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] in the BB
The entire table limps!
I make it $20 on top
Villian calls in LP (as I knew he would with anything)
button calls

Flop 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (pot is ~$75)
Hero raises to $50, Villian pushes, button folds

I'm thinking about this for a bit. Does he actually have the 7? maybe... he could have 44.

Villian lifts his had allowing his surrounding players to see. I find this strange but don't know what to make of it. I ask him "did you flop a set on me again?" and he does not respond. Finally after a while he tells me to hurry. I tell him to call a cloak on me if he wants me to hurry. He doesn't call the cloak. It is $125 more to me to call. Call or fold?

I say "If you called $20 with a naked 7 and hit trips then I'm paying you off. I call!"
Like it?
Old 11-28-2006, 07:47 PM

Default Re: 1/2 Live murdered by noob bad call and bad laydown?

Villain as you describe him seems loose/passive. Have you seen him raise on the flop with weak hands? If so, hand 1 is fine.

Hand 2 seems OK. Might seem crazy and/or results oriented, but raise more PF. In loose live games, you often need to overbet the pot PF when you PFR... our online PFR standards aren't enough. In my experience, a villain showing hand is often weak. I call too.
Old 11-28-2006, 08:48 PM

I have no problem with you play on the first hand, however, his play on the first hand says that although he is not a pro, he is certainly not a complete idiot either. By betting out on the flop, he further concealed his set which paid off nicely for him. Most amateurs would slow play in that situation.

The second hand is a but more questionable. Many amateurs (especially in 1/2NL live games) push with Ace high flush draws (despite the board being paired), so that is a possibility. AA is also a possibility, as well as 44,56,77 (though obviously the last two are unlikely).

His push means either a very strong hand (AA for an overpair, 44, or 77), usually. Assuming he is not so weak that he would push with a flush draw (little too aggressive for him), I would say you are beat at this point, and laying down would be a viable option.
Old 11-29-2006, 12:57 AM

bump
Old 11-29-2006, 04:44 AM

Hand 1, I'd fold to his reraise. First he bets out. Then after you raise him he comes in over the top telling you "I know you have an A and I don't care". The board is dry so there's no way he's doing that with some kind of draw.

Hand 2 is OK. You are well ahead of his range so just call. Folding here is way too weak.