Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-08-2006, 03:44 AM

Default Re: Let\'s Talk Tea

[ QUOTE ]
i have a cup of earl grey most mornings, sometimes i'll switch it up and go for green tea.

tea >> coffee, imo.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto.

Personally, I'm sold on jasmine tea
Old 09-08-2006, 04:26 AM

Ah, finally the Brits on the forum can be put to use [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I think at any given time in my flat I have 10 or more types of tea to choose from. For the coffee drinkers out there who hate, I also have >3 types of coffee most of the time too.

Before I go further, your answer to caffeine: Yes, pick black, leave to brew longer = more caffeine. However, a brewed cup of tea, even strongly, usually doesn't compare to the amount of caffeine in a similar size cup of coffee.

So, a little run down on the teas that are out there.

Broad kinds:

Black Tea - also called Red Tea in China, this has been left to ferment slightly. Caffeine content is much higher than other types, other beneficial parts of tea less than other kinds.

Green Tea - made with unfermented tea leaves. Contains a higher amount of polyphenols [antioxidants] which are good for you, according to medical experts

White Tea - made with unopened buds from the tea plant. Supposed to contain a very large amount of antioxidants, and less caffeine than either of the above.

A rundown of several types of black/red tea - first a blend, the others are i guess the equivalent of a "single malt", one type of tea:

English Breakfast: A blend. A safe bet. Nice colour, not too overwhelming in any respect.

Darjeeling - referred to as the "Champagne of teas", Darjeeling has a delicate flavour, a bit too little for me as i like my tea strong. For black tea drinkers, this is an unoffensive one to start on. Picked in Darjeeling, North India.

Assam - another North Indian one, and usually the base for blends as it is full bodied and frankly delicious. this one can be brewed good and strong.

Lapsang Souchong - Tea from China which has been applewood smoked. Extremely pungent and strong flavour which means it's usually best "cut" with something like Assam to lessen its impact. I usually have 2:1 Assam:L.S.

Earl Grey - Tea from Sri Lanka (i think) scented with Bergamot oil; again a very powerful aroma which gets tiresome, so again I mix and match, either 2:1 Assam:E.G or 2:1 E.G:L.S. Lady Grey is scented with orange and bergamot, IIRC.

Chai: an Indian concoction of Black tea with added items which may or may not include Cardamom, Cloves, Cinnamon, Nutmeg, Vanilla, Fennel and other spices. In india, drunk strong, sweet, hot and milky. Delicious, i was hooked there.

all black teas can be optionally drunk with milk. the ones below NEVER SHOULD!

<font color="Green">Green Teas

Whilst this typically means normal Camellia leaves left unfermented, I will include teas of other flower types in there too. Excuse the bunching.

Jasmine Tea - a totally delicious and very fragrant tea, packed with Jasmine but not in an oily-scent way. Has a tendency to dry the mouth out. An excellent digestive aid, which i have been told is why Chinese meals go well with it (i.e. we drank Jasmine tea all over china, restaurants serve it etc.)

Orchid Tea - where vanilla comes from, so unsurprisingly this has a strong vanillin taste. Naturally sweet, excellent. Can make FANTASTIC iced teas with it.

Rosehip and Hibiscus - an strong red colour, meant to be good for you, too "tangy" for some but i love it. Can also have flavours like Lemon+Lime, Strawberry+Raspberry etc. added to it.

Ginger Tea - no tea at all actually, just a 1/2" cube of ginger, peeled and crushed to release the flavour. Another great digestive drink, and it's apparently goot for the heart. Add 1/2tsp of sugar to sweeten slightly. Warming.

Crysanthemum - made with the flowers from the crysanthemum, this one is great, but difficult to find, I got some sent from a friend in China and got 1/4 of the way through them in 36 hours, and had to slow myself down. Delicious colour and flavour, slightly minty.

Mint - A final digestive drink, well known throughout Turkey and the Middle East. Drink sweetened.</font>

<font color="#666666">White teas

White Tea in itself it just that, unopened buds, like mentioned earlier. I find that those new to it find it has an incredibly fishy taste, like crushed oyster shells stewed for a while. Added flavours can include Strawberry, Raspberry, Orange and Blackcurrant, which helps take the edge off the fishy flavour, and makes for a delicious drink.</font>

Right now in my house i have:

English Breakfast
Earl Grey
Darjeeling

Jasmine
Crysanthemum
Mint
Ginger

Rosehip + Hibiscus with Strawberry + Raspberry
Hibiscus with Lemon and Lime
White Tea with Raspberry

Chai

Cliffs: Drink English Breakfast to start. Stronger you brew, stronger the caffeine, but coffee is always more caffeinated. Black tea drink with/without milk, all others NO MILK.

If you're not looking just for caffeine, experiment. There is as much in the tea world to learn as there is in coffee. Try teas from India, Africa, China and Sri Lanka. Sri Lankan teas might be called "Ceylon", that was the colonial name for S.I and it's stuck with tea unfortunately.
Old 09-08-2006, 04:30 AM

I like darjeeling &amp; Sencha. Not the best I know but still tasty.
Old 09-08-2006, 04:32 AM

yup guyon, a good jasmine tea &gt; all others.

EDIT: OP, look up "Clipper Teas" on the net, they are a tea-based company, and all their stuff is fairly traded to boot. That's where I get most of my black and white tea from, as well as a lot of greens. I use fresh ginger and mint though.
Old 09-08-2006, 04:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Red tea, rooibos, has no caffeine naturally

[/ QUOTE ]

this may cause confusion. Rooibos just means redbush tea. It is naturally decaffeinated. It is not Red Tea in the Chinese sense, which is "our" black tea. which is naturally caffeinated.
Old 11-28-2006, 09:27 PM

Has anyone had Hot Cinnamon Spice tea from Harney? Everyone I've talked to loves it, I love it and Cinnamon has nice health benefits. Make sure to get the loose tea, only, though. Anything else is a lower grade.
Old 11-28-2006, 10:28 PM

The seasonal 'Joy' blend found at SBUX is probably the best combo of flavor and caffeiene around at a retail shop. Republic of Tea has a similar blend that is also good.

The best stuff I've found is real jasmine tea from the tea shops in Chinatown. You can spend up to like $120/oz there, although I never have gone that far. The $20-40 stuff is quite tasty.