Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-27-2006, 12:03 PM

Default Living in Thailand, wanna get something started, any Recomm?

I'm currently living in Thailand. Gonna be here for a while. I'm interested in getting something started.. I don't have access to a whole lot of capital... Maybe 30k-ish, but could prolly get some sort of a loan for maybe another 30-50k ish.

My background is in mathematics and teaching. I'm not exactly business savvy, but I think I could be if I was inspired with a good plan.

The advantage to doing business in Thailand is the obv. cheap labor, as well as the fact that there are some fairly well educated folks over here. I've considered doing some sort of research type work.. Work where people here might get paid $8k/year, and the cost for employers in the states might be like $70k/year. However, I think my limited access to funds would be a hindrance here.

**(My wife speaks both thai and english, I have connections to important people over here, so those types of obstacles shouldn't be too much of a problem.)

I've also considered trying to get a golf resort started.. One that is heavily marketed to Koreans and Japanese. I play a lot of golf, so I would be fairly passionate about this sort of thing, but I really know nothing about golf management, or maintenance.
Old 11-27-2006, 12:25 PM

Default Re: Living in Thailand, wanna get something started, any Recomm?

I think you've already got some good ideas. A golf course might be a too capital intensive for your bank roll, but then again, its hard to tell knowing nothing about doing business in thailand. My brother has been studying medical tourism for the last few years. Appartenly some east asian countries, including Thailand, have excellent medical care facilities and well-trained doctors. So Americans and Eurpoeans are going there for some medical procedures that insurance won't cover. Mainly plastic surgery and that sort of thing. It saves a bundle on costs to have the procedures done in asia and its perfectly safe. I've thought about getting a company going that specializes in medical tourism travel. You could do a full service thing and take a cut of everything - plane tickets, hotel, and hospital stay. Or maybe you could work out a profit sharing thing with the hospital.

but I think that there are serious problems with the idea. Mostly, it is a difficult idea to sell to americans. How would you market the service? Marketing stateside would be quite expensive. Maybe you could get a few Thai hospitals together in an association that could take on some of the marketing costs. but it would still be difficult. I think it is a viable idea though.
Old 11-27-2006, 01:58 PM

If you like golf and have Thai connections, how about a golf travel agency focused on Japanese and Koreans as you mentioned. You could put together Thai golfing vacations (i.e. hotel reservations, tee times, sightseeing, etc.) into one package.
Old 11-28-2006, 01:52 AM

Sell hot Thai babes to rich Americans who want an Asian wife.

Jimbo
Old 11-28-2006, 04:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Sell hot Thai babes to rich Americans who want an Asian wife.

Jimbo

[/ QUOTE ]

FTW!
Old 11-28-2006, 03:52 PM

BeerMoney,

Why not open up a school?
Old 11-28-2006, 10:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
BeerMoney,

Why not open up a school?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think that's all that profitable, and my lack of capital could be a hindrance there... Although I have considered it.